1200 calories

Options
Hello Everyone!

Im starting my first week of dieting on 1200 calories, i heard i can kick start my metabolism this way. Anyone else eating only 1200 calories a day? I would love some input!

Thanks
KaT

Replies

• gmann425
    gmann425 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started this week too and this site set my daily goal as 1200 calories for me. So far it's been 2 days and I went way over yesterday. I'm being more conscious of it now going forward. Hope to respond soon that it is working.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would just setup and eat the calories MFP suggests
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well, I SHOULD be only eating 1200 calories a day... but when first changing my diet (this is also my first couple of days attempting a 1200 calories a day only) it's a bit hard... it's quite a transition... and also one your body might not be used to. I think once you stick with it, your body will adjust, and realize it really doesn't NEED more calories than that... and thats when you'll start losing the weight! Your stomach will get smaller so you'll eat less... but keep up the exercise so that DOES kick up your metabolism :)
  • Jalachri
    Jalachri Posts: 47
    Options
    Im on my 6th week of 1200. I exercise everyday and only use my exercise calories on SUnday's. I started at 155 and am at 138! Good Luck you can do it :-)
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    That would depend on how much exercise you are doing. I am exercising 5-6 days a week pretty heavy and eating between 1400-1600. I think it is a trial and error. You are allowed to eat back your exercise calories. Just don't go below 1200.
  • macnupe
    macnupe Posts: 19
    Options
    Mine is set at 1200 calories, but I also burn between 500-800 cals per day by exercising. That gives me more cals to eat! lol

I did notice my metabolism pick up. I eat more meals, but smaller portions thoughout the day. Its hard to not go over 1200 cals if you are not exercising.
  • pachiri
    pachiri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for about a week now. but not only 1200 calories but sugar and sodium intake. it's tough, everything has both. I went to a green and white change...green veggies and fish/chicken. kind of boring sometime but it helps. Staying away from fruits, loaded with sugar..uggg this is never ending!

Hang in there you can do it!
  • hanson22
    hanson22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day. I have a tendency to fudge a bit on weekends and not eat 1200, but during the week I am really strict and work out like a beast. I have lost about 7 pounds in the last 3 weeks :)
  • arsjcs
    arsjcs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is what the site also suggested for me. You really have to track what you eat because I was surprised at how much food that actually was. I would never have guessed it on my own - love this site.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, my eating is erratic at best and I'm struggling to meet the 1200 daily - keep getting a redline of text saying I am not meeting it. Doh!
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    I have been on 1200 for 2.5 months. I do a lot of cardio (roughly 800 calories worth 5+ times a week). It gets me 800 more calories to eat on those days. Thus far I've lost 17 pounds on MFP. I'd lost 13 before joining. So total I'm right at 30 pounds of loss since the beginning of March. It has been difficult, and there are a lot of times I have no desire to be at the gym, but it has paid off.
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My calories were set at 1200 cals and, while it is rough, it's easier to achieve than you'd think!
  • evmon39
    evmon39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is where I started and am still at. I've been going for a lil over a month and have lost 9lbs!!! I started off just counting my calories which works great and started going to the gym a couple weeks ago about 3x a week and I feel great! At first I thought 1200 calories was too little, compared to what I was eating before, but after a few days of keeping track and seeing how easy it is to stay at that I was ok with it. I learned how to snack healthier and I still treat myself very regularly but in small portions to make sure I don't go over my limit. I'm choosing zero calorie drinks if I'm not drinking water. Good luck! Once you start seeing results it becomes way easier and more exciting to work out to reach your goals :D
  • dianaclopez89
    dianaclopez89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 calories & its hard at times but MFP really helps keep track of your calorie intake. These are some links to help you. Best of Luck !

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/1200-calorie-diet
    http://www.fast-diet-plans.com/diet-plan/1200-calorie-diet-plan/
    http://www.fast-diet-plans.com/diet-plan/1200-calorie-diet-plan/
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I just started 1200 cals down from 1300. I've been bouncing between 257 & 253 for almost a month. I've also re-commited to my weekly exercise. In the last 3 days, my weight has gone down and stabilized at 251. Over the last month my water intake has been lower than usual so I've tried to increase. Hopefully, by making small changes, my metabolism will increase and my weight will continue to drop. This is my first plateau; I've lost 46 lbs....it's expected. Although, I've noticed when I don't see a change on the scale (yes, I'm addicted to the instant gratification), I tend to loose my enthusiasm. Time to stay focused and hit my first mini goal; 3 lbs to go.

Good luck!
  • frenchielover
    Options
    Good luck on your quest!! This is my first week at 1260 as recommended by MFP, and it has been very difficult. I am hoping it gets easier as everyone is saying as my stomach shrinks.....I have been on this ride before, just didn't realize how far off track the last couple of years have been.

Pachiri...just a quick little tidbit..it is absolutely ok to eat fruit. The sugar in fruit is natural....and seeing as most fruits are mostly water, they fill you up without having to overindulge. No one ever got fat from eating fruit!!! :wink:
  • autbot74
    autbot74 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes I have 1200 too, it's not much food right! I need to change my carbs though....what are yours set at?
  • brandygoins67
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories as well, it is hard but the calorie tracker on here has been a great help to me. The main thing I try to get regardless is at least 30 grams of protien so maybe that will help you. Good luck to you :smile:
  • katherine1127
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I have been doing pretty good, I am on day 3. I went slightly over yesterday because i had more cheese than i needed...lol I was so hungry. I can be pretty pathetic though, after getting cheetos for my kids, I will lick the powder off my fingers...ha ha wonder how many calories was that? =)
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    ...... after getting cheetos for my kids, I will lick the powder off my fingers...ha ha wonder how many calories was that? =)

LOL :wink: