TOM weight loss ideas??

Options
I am in a weight loss challenge, and have to weigh in on Sundays. I have "started" today, and already gained 3 pounds. I hear from some people to drink extra water, but then from others (athletes, wrestlers) to absolutely avoid water. I hear from some to eat mostly fruits and veggies, and others say to eat protein. I am so confused. What are some of your success stories about losing weight during that oh-so-special time??? :)

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I got none. I already drink a ton of water so drinking more would be difficult. I just retain water like nobody's business. I know the scale numbers aren't real weight gain, so I just avoid the scale that week. Some women are more negatively affected by TOM than others. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't try anything extra - I just accept that nothing will happen for about a week, and then it kicks in again. Seems to even itself out over the month.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I got none. I already drink a ton of water so drinking more would be difficult. I just retain water like nobody's business. I know the scale numbers aren't real weight gain, so I just avoid the scale that week. Some women are more negatively affected by TOM than others. Just keep doing what you're doing.

I second this. I have been drinking fluids and eating fruits & veggies, but am still up 3lbs. I know it's not real weight gain, per say, so if I am not back down I am just going to pass on this weeks weigh in :wink:
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Sorry, no ideas...I am so miserable at that TOM (which is right now) I can hardly move, forget exersize...ugh...the joy of being a woman :frown:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you check your weight on the 3rd or 4th day, that is usually the best day. If that week it is classified as the 'driest'. I find if I weigh my self around day 4 I get an accurate reading.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    im a weirdo, i actually lose weight during tom. i drink a lot of water and a lot of green tea every day and i dont deviate from my normal food diary. i zig zag my calories which has helped a lot on shedding the weight quickly.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have decided it is impossible to "lose weight" when TOM is around! I bloat and am more hungry, like stomach growling need to eat hungry, then as well. I do find once TOM is gone my weight has maintained. I just don't weigh in once a month!! I refuse!
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think you can't do anything! At least I can't. It's just the way it is. I would suggest to just skip the weigh in.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i was running my butt off and doing intervals and makin sure i ate really clean, and i seemed to be ok.. i didnt feel bloated or anything. in fact i think i had lost about a pound, but i really pushed myself hard for like 4-5 days, the exercise helps me with cramps bc i get them sooo badly!.. so that was another reason! hope this helps!
  • Kristy0728
    Kristy0728 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have to make sure I drink lots of water and watch how much red meat I eat. Remember that its only temporary and even if my weight is up a little THIS week, next week I will be "normal" again...
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Last month I actually lost 0.5 lbs! I drank lots of water, watched the sodium and did LOTS of cardio. I was shocked when I got on the scale because normally I am up about 3 lbs!
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This morning, I put my scale up because it went up so much! not getting out until Uncle TOM is gone!!
    I haven't found anything that has helped but haven't really tried much different, but the next week I really like the scale :)
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I drink an extra 2-3 cups of water and try not to go crazy with the cravings...work out bunches! That helps
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    im a weirdo, i actually lose weight during tom. i drink a lot of water and a lot of green tea every day and i dont deviate from my normal food diary. i zig zag my calories which has helped a lot on shedding the weight quickly.

same here... that is usally when I see my loss show up