Newbie Nursing Mama

Options
Kkimbee
Kkimbee Posts: 16 Member
Hi, my name is Kimberly. I am new to myfitnesspal, a wife and mom to 4 children, and hope to lose about 45 pounds. Nursing my newest little baby is my biggest obstacle. I want to make sure that my little guy's nutritional intake isn't compromised by my change in diet. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

Oh, and I am new to being a stay-at-home mom as well. Any helpful information on living frugal, healthy, and sane (lol) is much appreciated!

I can't wait to make new friends on here! See ya!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You should confirm with your doctor, but when I was nursing, the doctor had me bump up my calories by 600 a day for the baby. Good Luck!
  • Kkimbee
    Options
    Okay, thanks!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    In the food database look up breastfeeding. It gives you extra calories when you add it to your food diary.

Good luck and welcome to MFP!
  • JessicaRucker
    Options
    My name is Jessica and I'm a nursing mom too. Since my son was born in Sept 2010, I've lost about 87 lbs. I also have another 40 to goal. Ive found helpful to make an excerise called "breastfeeding". I put in 1 min, since I don't want to throw off my actually goal of work out time, and 500 calories burned. That gives me a rough estimate on what my body is doing. I had to overhaul my portion size to see results. I didn't really eat bad things, just way too much food! Avoid at all cost anything prepackaged! It may not seem that bad, but it makes you retain weight! I'm available to talk anytime!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also a mom of 4 with a nursling. My littlest is 11 months, so not totally dependent on me for nutrition.I set my activity level higher on MFP than what it is so that my calorie allowance is 350 cals higher, to adjust for nursing and then I do everything else such as logging workouts and my food diary as I normally would. It's working! I am losing about 1 lb a week. (I've heard of other people choose "breastfeeding" in the food category and it applies negative calories).

Your body will produce high quality milk even in famine conditions (a quote taken directly from my doctor). The important thing is to take care of you. Take your vitamins, calcium, drink plenty of fluids and you (and the little one) should be fine. My baby is happy and growing and I'm happy and shrinking.
  • Kkimbee
    Options
    Thanks! You guys are all great! I am very grateful for the quick responses to my post and helpful info you've given me. If anyone is looking for new friends...feel free to "friend me"!