Is Skim Milk Making You Fat???

Options
Aspynmom
Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
Found this today and it's really disturbing to me!!! I LOVE my skim milk and can't stand to drink whole, it's too thick. Don't know what to believe anymore!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/is-skim-milk-making-you-fat-2479492/

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    bump

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    no, don't have to read but its not making you fat.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Meh! I like it...I'll drink it. If your worried there's always almond milk. I liked that too, but the family started to complain so we switched back to Skim.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Found this today and it's really disturbing to me!!! I LOVE my skim milk and can't stand to drink whole, it's too thick. Don't know what to believe anymore!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/is-skim-milk-making-you-fat-2479492/

I read it and didn't find anything disturbing. Matter of fact, didn't get the point of the article.....it said nothing.
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I switched back to whole milk when I was trying to conceive, stayed on it while nursing and will probably never go back. It seemed a bit too rich at first but I got used to it. I keep coming back to the idea that the more processed something is, the worse it is. Sure, it's more calories than skim, but it's more filling in smaller amounts.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is really good, I started using that for cereals or my coffee
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You may want to reread the article, the article doesnt say or really even suggest skim milk is bad or makes you fat. It's a rather poor article that tries to make random causal leaps for whatever reason. It even contradicts itself by saying skim milk is better than whole/2% milk based on the calories and macro nutrient breakdown. It then jumps to talking about low calorie and low fat diets and how on the long term they are not effective or some such. Skim milk has nothing to do with that really and they don't even specify what they consider to be low fat or low calorie diets. It jumps into some type of skim milk based additive for animals which again is leps and bound from actual skim milk.

tl;dr version: Skim milk is fine and the article is poorly written.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It states nothing other than the fact that if we put our bodies in starvation mode, we will not lose weight.... So as long as you log it as skim milk and not as whole milk I don't see where the problem is.... I drink lactose free skim milk at the moment and drank regular skim milk before and never had issues... I switched from 2% to skim a few years back and lost a few pounds but just making that change.... It's all about logging calories as accurately as possible!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am not really seeing the big deal here. Log your calories and drink skim, 2%, whole, or heck, light cream. I drink skim because I want to free up extra fat and calories for other food items, not what is an essentially a condiment on my cereal. Also, skim has much, much less cholesterol that fattier dairy products.