After a year of failing

Options
I have hope. It may be false hope but it's what is keeping me going at the moment. I started with a 1,000 calorie diet and thought I was doing well by coming in under my alloted calorie allowance. And it worked for about a week, then I gained 15 lbs and couldn't figure out why. Then I started working out more, while still keeping the calories low - which lead to another 5 lbs gain. Eat less, exercise more and gain weight???

I found this by chance in the app store on my Droid and decided to try again. First thing it said was eat more. LOL I didn't believe it, but it's working. 3 lbs so far, averaging a pound a day loss. We'll see if keeps up.

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Welcome Azure - the app is great, but the site is even better!!!
    Join in, make some friends (Add me if you like!) and you'll be dropping in no time!

1,000 calories - wow - what did you think of what the app suggested for calorie intake? Did you find that you were low from the 1,000 you were eating?

If you have questions or need a motivational boost - feel free to shoot me a note..
    Believe me... I've been there!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It does work, just stick to it.

Best wishes
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Mary Kay said that we fail forward to success. There is SO much wonderful support here so take advantage of it. Ask questions, and don't be afraid to admit if you fall off the wagon - someone is always here to help you out!

You can do it!
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have read many articles and spoken with a few nutritionists over the years. Most of them say a base line for calorie intake should be 1200 and not less, unless you have doctor orders to be on that low of a calorie intake.

SOmetimes if you are eating too little and/or not eating your exercise calories, your body tends to hang onto your weight because you are in a state called "starvation mode". Your body needs a set # of calories to function and if you eat less than that, it throws your body off and then tries to hang onto the weight.

So unless you have doctor orders, try for a week or two eating what is recommended, and eating in your calories from exercise and see if that helps. Plus drink all your water so your body can function properly. Excess water will be flushed out.

Goood Luck!
  • NancyCatherineWalker
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I started out with just a calorie counter app. It's didn't track exercise or make recommendations. At some point I was told and/or looked up that 1,000 calories a day was what I needed. On average I was eating 800 to 1,000 calories a day. I'm not under doctor's orders other than a general "your weight is an issue and you know that - work on it" statement.