the book Pain Free by Egoscue

Options
Does anyone do those exercises, or E-cises as he calls them? I'd like to compare experiences.

I have a history of being active(walking, hiking, swimming, xc ski), then trying to ramp it up and getting an injury. The last time started with plantar fasciitis in one foot. Injury eventually migrated to the opposite knee because I was favoring the injured foot. The foot finally has been cured after 6 months of pain, through rest, swimming, new balance shoes and stretches. However, the knee hurt for the last 2 months and my poor legs didn't know what to do with injuries in both legs.

My boss lent me the book Pain Free by Peter Egoscue, and it has speeded my recovery greatly. It was plain to me that I'd been out of alignment my whole adult life. Once you are out of alignment, you will continue to re-injure yourself. Last week, I was barely able to get up and down the stairs, and could not walk the dog. My bf ran out to the garage to get his old crutches for me on Thursday night, and I needed them. After just one session, Friday morning, my knee was so much improved I could walk without crutches, and after 2 days I could walk the dog again. I was ecstatic. I AM ecstatic! It is so good to be free of pain. I looked at my knees the way the author says, and found the painful one was turned in. I did the recommended foot, knee and hip e-cises religiously and precisely. It has been just 6 days of doing them now and I am very very impressed with the results.

Also I had been plagued by hip pain. Now, I began to get rid of that by stretching in the hot tub at the Y over the winter, pulling my leg back to stretch the psoas. Also I did some psoas 'release' movements. My hip muscles were so stiff they felt like wooden dowels. My legs were weak climbing stairs and my pelvis felt like my guts were not supported. I began the winter swimming over a mile, and could barely make it half that distance 2 months later. This is despite losing 8 pounds using mfp. I think those feelings were due to the psoas tightness. Now I am pain-free in the hip, feel stronger, and after doing the e-cises, have more range of motion.

I am 164lbs now, at 5'5", age 54 so I have age issues too, but by no means should I feel as crippled as I did this winter. I am saying felt, because nothing stopped me skiing and swimming and snowshoeing, til I realized I was prolonging my foot's plantar fasciitis.Then I rested the months of March and April, only swimming and doing plantar stretching. The plantar pain finally stopped just 3 weeks ago. But the knee laid me low, and the plantar fasciitis was threatening to come back. Also the weight loss stalled. Thank goodness I did not gain it back.

It seems to me that the e-cises have improved not only mobility and range of motion but breathing. I am calmer and breathe more evenly. That of course happens when you are no longer in pain, but it feels like something else good has happened inside.

I borrowed the book for just one day, and copied down the e-cises pertaining to feet, knees and hips. I ordered the book and should get it soon. I am keen to start the shoulder and back e-cises. I'm walking more, and hope to be hiking again by the summer. Swimming is now much easier. On Monday after not swimming 2 weeks because of the knee, I sliced through the water for 45 minutes with great pleasure.

Anyone else have this experience? By the way, I have read many threads and thank you all for your great advice on dieting.

Replies

• jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the book and use the E-cises every time something is acting up. It really works wonders.

I have to admit though, that when I'm feeling good I don't do the maintenance routine. I'll just do the appropriate e-cises for whatever is aching until it stops.
  • peabody18
    peabody18 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks, that's one thing I was wondering. Even this morning, I did just the first 4 e-cises before I went out to swim. I have no incentive if I have no pain.

I think I am going to try my darnedest to keep it up, depending on what the book says about maintenance once you feel better. (I haven't read the whole book yet) Because although I may feel better, I know those atrophied muscles, the ones that have languished while others took over their jobs, need strengthening. Also I do not feel aligned enough and am sure my posture could be improved.
  • timmyg949
    timmyg949 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Peabody18,

Love hearing your story about using the Pain Free book by Pete Egoscue to get yourself out of pain. Also I would have to agree with you that it is tough to keep up with the e-cises once you are out of pain. I'm the Clinic Director for one of the Egoscue clinics in San Diego and that is one of the toughest things for clients to do once they are out of pain. My best advice to them, is remember that it's not your activity or age that is causing your pain, it's the body you bring into the activity. Meaning if your body is out of alignment going into running, walking the dog, etc. then eventually pain will arise. So keep doing those 4 e-cises that you are doing before your activity, think of them as part of your warm-up. I would also recommend that you do the Supine Groin Progressive at least once a week. that will help with the tight psoas.

Best of luck, and happy training!

Tim