Pictures Don't Lie (Unfortunately)

Options
Hi, I've only been on MFP for about a month, so I'm a relative newby. I really got a shock when a friend posted a picture of me on FB and I realized that I was not just chubby, but I was truly obese and in need of a major overhaul! Yes, I should have known by the weight on the scale, but somehow I convinced myself that "it wasn't really that bad." Well, that photo sure showed that it WAS that bad. So, I'm exercising daily and eating healthy and doing what I can to shed this 75 pounds. I see a lot of young people on this site, but I'm in the "over 50" category. I find that losing weight has become much more difficult as I'm older. Are there other "oldies" like me out there? How is your progress? Do you have any helpful tips in this journey?

Replies

• Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am only 27 but I share a similar story of the darn picture incident. I wish you luck on this journey. Regardless of age it isn't easy for anyone.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm an almost 50, and it was a picture from my grandson's birthday party that woke me up. I'm struggling, but not giving up. It's a back and forth battle and I'm still trying to figure out what is going to work, and what isn't.

Feel free to friend me if you want. This is a long-term battle, but we can win it.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am 30 years old. I have seriously trained two other times in my life. The first was in high school and college playing soccer almost full time. After that I let myself go and gained a lot of weight (I weighed about 257lbs). Then I was hired as a police officer and I trained for a year total (6 months before police academy and 6 months in the academy). Upon graduation I was 183lbs down from about 257.....

Ok... So now I am 30. Sad to say that a couple of years ago I let myself go again when I lost my job on the PD (budget cuts). I turned to my college training and ran restaurants for 3 years. I gained back all the weight and then som (weighed 261lbs). Over the last few months I have realized that even being 30 is much different than training when I was 21. It took a lot longer for the weight to come off, but when it did it started a great trend. Currently 219lbs from 261 and still goin with more muscle mass than I have had in a long time. So yes.... it has been much harder, more pains, need more advil or aleve and I have to watch what I eat (when I was younger I ate anything). But it can be done. Good luck.
  • julie4760
    julie4760 Posts: 125
    Options
    know the feeling well, i'm 51 this year and it's taking longer than I thought for lol, feel free to add me i'll do my best to encourage you.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    A year from now, you will look at that old picture with pride. Because you will have transformed your body by making good choices. And while you may have pity for that person you used to be, you will not be ashamed. Because no one else has done it for you.

Welcome to MFP!
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and the exact same thing happened to me. I'll see if I can post the pic here. I realized I was almost twice the size of all my friends. The most embarrising part is that I hadn't seen some of the girls since high school and they all still look great!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I, too, wanted to detag myself from all the recent photos on FB last summer. I was shocked at how horrid I looked. Now I can really tell a difference, but I still have a ways to go.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sent you a private message with some great information! :flowerforyou:
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and the exact same thing happened to me. I'll see if I can post the pic here. I realized I was almost twice the size of all my friends. The most embarrising part is that I hadn't seen some of the girls since high school and they all still look great!

I don't think I can post a pic in a message board, so I just changed my profile pic to the "shocking" photo. I'm twice the size than the two ladies behind me :(
  • fortworthbret
    Options
    FB tagging has been the wake up call for a lot of people here I've read. I too have seen the light thanks to a FB photo where I was tagged.

We all get our spark from somewhere, it is funny when so many get it from such an unlikely place.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm only 22 but I had the same wake up call! My family was taking random candid photos of people opening gifts on christmas morning and I saw one of myself. I was HORRIFIED and embarrassed! It's hard to take but it's exactly what we need. I had a professor once who told us a story about how he kept seeing bad pictures of himself "that must have been from an unflattering angle" or it "must have been because he was wearing that sweater he doesn't like" and he eventually realized that ALL his photos were bad.... and that it wasn't the camera, or the sweater, or the angle. IT WAS HIM. Lol. Sometimes it takes a while but once you've accepted that you want to change, you should be proud. Lots of people never get to that step.

Good luck on your journey!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    LOL! Facebook photos sent me to this website too! :laugh: After all the time I've wasted there, at least something good is coming out of it! Best of luck to you all in meeting your fitness and photographic goals!
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am 58. Welcome to My Fitness Pal! I just try to make sure I do not go over the calories they set for me, watch my sodium and walk for about 20 minutes 2-3 times a week. Seems to be working.