Will You Be My Friend? (I'm Cool -really!)

Options
Geesh! I feel like I am back in grade-school!

That said, if I want to get some support on here and share in others journeys as well. I need some friends! I am from Ottawa Canada, I am a single dad, and I have to lose over 200lbs. I am just about to embark on a swimming for fitness exercise plan. Any suggestions how to get started with that and build from there?

Drop me a line and say hello!

Les

Replies

• laurapasos
    laurapasos Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    add me! Request sent.
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    ha ha..you add me if you like
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    sent
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    lol!!! add me
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    It is like the school yard, isn't it? I'll send you a request! :laugh:
  • FunSizedBrent
    Options
    I would be happy to be your friend on here. Please add me. :)
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi Les! No info on swimming, but real big on support! Request sent:flowerforyou:
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    Add me! :o)
  • imabigvegan
    imabigvegan Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Ask and you shall receive!
  • smvamp
    smvamp Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey Les. I'm Shelley. Sounds like you're on the right track...PLUS...you're REALLY Cool. lol. So am I...so I'm sending you a friend request! Let's encourage each other!:wink:

Shelley
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    Awesome! I am loving the passion of my friends!!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Request sent!
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    So now I have a whack of friends and have received some tips from a few of you on swimming. Thanks so much!! Does anyone know other than laps, what are the best exercises I can do in the pool to build muscle, burn fat and not further damage my knees?

Any thoughts will help!
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    Hi,
    Well, is there a pool nearby your hometown that is open everyday? If so, that would be easier to stick with a swimming workout plan.
    Like jogging, start off slow and build up every 2 weeks.
    Learn the different strokes (freestyle/crawl, butterfly, breastroke, and backstroke) to add variety to your swimming plan (they also work different muscles in your body and arms too).

GOOD LUCK, SWEETY!
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    So now I have a whack of friends and have received some tips from a few of you on swimming. Thanks so much!! Does anyone know other than laps, what are the best exercises I can do in the pool to build muscle, burn fat and not further damage my knees?

Any thoughts will help!

Does the pool that you go to, have a water aerobics class 1-2 times a week? Try that. You'll love it. Still easy on the knees too.
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    Actually, I will have access to a private indoor lap pool. I was desperate find find private swimming so I posted an ad online. I got no response until a CBC Radio One producer saw my ad and wanted to interview me. The also did an article on their website called "Obese man offers to clean pool for private access." Now I have like 25 pools to choose from in peoples backyards or their houses. So many emails and comments of support too! Very heartwarming.

Desperate times call for desperate measures right!!

So, no classes, but total freedom to do what I want. I plan to start slow with laps and gradually build up. I think I will do alternating groups of freestyle, flutter board, and pull float to start.

I am really excited! I miss the water.