Coffee as water?

Options
phoebe2488
phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
I have not been counting the coffee I drink in the morning as part of my daily intake. Should I and if so, do I count it all? I usually drink 2 cups a day. Should I count 2 cups as 2 cups of water? Thanks!

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    No... coffee is coffee. water is water...

Plus coffee dehydrates you (I have heard) . so it definately cant count.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No. I wouldn't count it. Coffee is a diuretic, so it causes to you to flush fluid out of your system because of the caffeine. So continue not to count it.
  • mememe84
    mememe84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    you count it as coffee well i do anyway. i log every drink i have tea juice coffee i find it helps x
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do you drink it black?
  • graymojo
    graymojo Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't count it as water. It's a diuretic. Search Coffee and it will bring up a coffee entry for you. It's not terrible significant, but if you want to count it than do so. The only thing I could imagine it affecting is your calories if you put cream and sugar in it.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    From what I understand, anything with caffeine in it doesn't count as water.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Coffee has calories. What I've done for myself is created a separate category of "beverages" to account for everything I drink during the day that is *not* water.
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No- count it as coffee. I've been told only count water as water. No juice, no tea, etc.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as water... but I would definetly count it for calorie intake (plus the calories from any creamer or sugar added). I think that the only fluid that should be counted as water is H2O. :smile:
  • mykaanderson
    Options
    I have a special container for my water to count and dont count any other drinks as my water. Maybe I could but I choose not to.
  • victoriashea
    victoriashea Posts: 112
    Options
    Definitely put it in your log, but not as water. Like the other people said, caffeine is a natural diuretic (it's actually the main ingredient in some OTC water-weight loss pills such as Diurex). Plus 8 oz. of BLACK coffee has about 2.2 calories. If you drank more than you do, this could really add up. If you put cream and/or sugar in it, you absolutely should put it in your log.
    Every little morsel counts!
    Good luck!

-Victoria
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No, don't count it as water. Log it in your diary though, black coffee has 2.5 calories per cup.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't count mine as water either but if your drinking it black and decaffeinated you can.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    My doctor and my nutritionist both say it counts toward my daily fluid intake. As long as you do not add sugar and very little creamer, they say artifical sweetener is okay. I trust them completely because everything they have told me has proven to be true.

But, they did tell me to limit it to no more than 2-8 oz cups a day and try to cut back to one because caffeine suppresses the adrenal glands. Basically, caffeine is fake adrenaline and stops the natural production. Adrenaline is something we need to give us that get up and go feeling.
  • Rocknsynchrogrl
    Options
    I don't count coffee as water intake and have also made a separate column for beverages with calories etc. I do know however that Weight Watchers allows you to count it as water/fluid intake. What is the logic behind that?
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    I actually read that for every oz of coffee you drink you have to drink the same amount of water on top of the 32oz. you are suppose to drink each day!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I add anything that is liquid as my base "water" intake... milk, soup, coffee, tea, and so on. I used the water consumption as a tracker for how much liquid my body is getting for the day. What I don't add, but probably could, are high liquid fruit and melons. But regardless of what I log in, I'm focused less on reaching a number for water and base everything on my overall thirst. If at the end of the day I still feel thirsty, I chug 8 oz or so before bedtime.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can count black coffee, unsweetened tea, and other similar beverages as "water." It doesn't matter at all that it has calories. My nutritionist and doctor both told me you can count any liquid that hasn't been significantly altered, and the only difference between black coffee and water is that it the water is heated and strained through ground coffee beans first.
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Do a search for coffee and log it with the closest meal (its about 5 cal per cup- black). I add sugar free creamer so its calories I like to keep track of. Just keep in mind to counter act your coffee with equal amounts of water. If you drink 2 cups of coffee then drink 2 extra cups of water. All milk, juice, soda and alcohol gets added to your meals.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't count it.
    caffeine can dehydrate you