Camping food.....HELP

Options
BeckyKSmith
BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
I am going camping this weekend (well, we have a 30ft travel trailer with all the amenities). I am in a panic as to what to bring for food. I started making a list last night..........hot dogs, burgers, chips, smores, bacon, eggs, bread....................OMG...I've become the old self I have avoided for the last 3 months! I don't know how else to camp. Worst part is that we are leaving on Friday right after work and I don't have a ton of time to chop fruit, veggies, etc.

Here is what I am looking for:
Munchies/dips! The kids are always running around and come back for a quick snack and run off again.
Salad/side dish: we are still making burgers (no bun for me) - but I need something to sit next to it on my plate

Ugh......for some reason I am so scared that I will fall into my old ways, not exercise and put a bag of doritos down the hatch this weekend.

Suggestions please :)

Replies

• MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Take fruit and vegies. Cut them up before you go or there. The kids will grap them if they are cut up. Try to plan what you will eat and allow yourself a couple of treats. Maybe you can walk them off. If you eat enough cut up vegies, you can skip them at dinner. Maybe do something really easy like a can of baked beans. Or make a pasta salad. When I go camping I try to bring as much prepared as I can, so I don't have to do it there. And I don't plan anything time consuming. This is just me, I only buy chips if I am going to a party or something. Take one bag of chips for the family - when they are gone, they're gone.
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Take fruit and vegies. Cut them up before you go or there. The kids will grap them if they are cut up. Try to plan what you will eat and allow yourself a couple of treats. Maybe you can walk them off. If you eat enough cut up vegies, you can skip them at dinner. Maybe do something really easy like a can of baked beans. Or make a pasta salad. When I go camping I try to bring as much prepared as I can, so I don't have to do it there. And I don't plan anything time consuming. This is just me, I only buy chips if I am going to a party or something. Take one bag of chips for the family - when they are gone, they're gone.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are a godsend because you don't have to cut them up and you can pair them with lots of different types of dip. I am really digging on Alouette Garlic & Herb. It's 80 calories for 2 tbsp which is enough for me to dip about 20-25 baby carrots in. Another thing you can do is to get those organic apple slices from Costco. They sell them in smaller packs at the grocery store too, some of them include a low-fat caramel dipping sauce. Grapes are also another pretty low-maintenance fruit to try.

Oh, and don't forget that one smore isn't going to kill you! Have fun..
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I am going to be in the same boat in two weeks. I use the Arnold Sandwich thins as my bun or wrap the burger and veggies in a Flatout. Hot dogs: We always get the Light ones, and have baked beans. I make a salad and eat it first to help feel full faster. We also use Turkey Bacon I have Egg Beaters for me and regular eggs for the rest.

My boys love fruit snacks, I don't so I bring those. Granola bars, cereal, carrots and ranch dip, pretzels.

You could use baked chips or pretzels instead of regular chips.

Hopefully this will help you a bit, I am going to make a menu for us (just like at home) so we know what we are eating when.
  • smiller92
    smiller92 Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I camp about every month, so I have to be careful about not falling back into unhealthy eating habits. Here's what I bring as healthy alternatives:

Snacks
    -baked tortilla chips with salsa (just be mindful of portion size with the chips)
    -Sun Chips, only 140 calories per serving and whole grain. Just don't eat the whole bag...LOL
    -mixed fruit from the grocery already cut up and ready to go. Like you, I don't have a lot of time to cut it up myself.
    -granola bars, there are several varieties ranging from 90-180 calories that are healthy and tasty
    -low fat cheese sticks, I buy Sargento which range from 50-80 calories per stick
    -beef or turkey jerkey, low fat, low calories, high protein
    -dried fruit

For side dishes, I do mostly salads. I like to buy bags of mixed spring greens for the convenience. Another easy side dish is asparagus because you can just throw it on the grill with your meat. This is the one area where I allow myself to cheat a little bit if I'm getting a lot of exercise like hiking or swimming.

I used to love a big juicy hamburger while camping. Now I make a healthy version by using a high fiber tortilla wrap instead of a bun. Walmart sells a high fiber/low carb tortilla wrap that has 71 calories, 12 grams of fiber and 5 grams of carbs. I also use them for any kind of sandwich wrap you can imagine. For the hamburger portion, you can use ground sirloin or turkey. I top it with mixed greens and tomatoes.

I also like to buy lean steak and chicken a couple nights before the trip. I put them in baggies and marinate them for a couple days before the trip. When you're ready to make dinner, the meat's ready to be thrown on the grill.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I'll be hitting up lots of Phish shows and music festivals this summer where I'll be camping. This thread will be very useful!

I usually bring nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit that will keep (oranges, apples, etc), granola bars, WATER. Would love to hear more great ideas.
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    make your own trail mix with nuts and cereal add some dried fruit? Just something small and easy to snack on.
  • geraintf
    geraintf Posts: 15
    Options
    I'd be tempted to say (assuming you havent cheated too much!!) just go and enjoy yourself and eat what you want (within reason) just do an extra session or two of exercise when you return.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The eggs are just fine to bring. They are jam packed with nutrition and will keep you full longer, especially if you are going to be doing some activities.

Take the eggs, have some pre-chopped veggies (like onions, peppers, etc) in ziplocks that you can just throw in a pan and sautee and make a scramble. 3 large eggs are just 210 calories, and bit of coconut oil is tastey (or olive oil). Avocados are great.

Also, pork chops or chicken or steak. I like to pound them out thinner (except for the steak) than a full breast and put them in a gallon ziplock with a marinade, in which they will marinate until it is time to cook them. Pounding them out thinner helps them to cook faster, but you'll have to watch them so you don't overcook them.

Also, cheese is great. A small bag of shredded will last days, goes great in the egg scrambles. Also, you can either buy cheese sticks, or buy a few 10 oz. blocks of cheese and pre-slice them into a ziplock to munch on.

Jerky for and a trail mix for any hikes, just in case (but if you aren't hungry, don't eat it).

Veggie trays. Celery and apples with a nut butter are great!

Ziplocks are a casual campers best friend, imo.

If you are hard core roughing it, though, I'd look into a dehydrator.

Camping doesn't have to be boring!

p.s.--and don't forget a nice watermelon. Slice it up and home and put it in a--you guessed it--ziplock. Kids can run it, grab, run out.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    wow! great ideas guys thanks! Man, I love this website!