Options
Recently I've been getting messages saying I'm too young to be losing weight. I'm 18. The website doesn't allow you to sign up if you're under 18. But on this site I'm not only losing weight I'm learning better eating habits and I don't think that there's an age restriction on that. I rather lose the weight I need to now rather than when I'm 40 and my metabolism is slower. If I correct my eating habits now rather than later in life I will have a better quality of life sooner than if I would wait to correct my habits.
Thats just what I think. I'd love to hear your opinions. :smile:

Replies

• torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Sounds like an exceptionally well thought out reason for being here on the site. Good luck to you on your journey.
    As someone who lost her son last year at the age of 31 to the effects of metabolic syndrome and obesity, I cannot do anything but applaud you for taking control of your eating habits early on. In a HEALTHY, and well thought out way.
  • Babytoy22002
    Babytoy22002 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i say ignore their ignorance. like you said it's more than losing weight; it's about developing healthy eating habits at a young age.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started at age 18. Not only would it have been easier then, but I also would have enjoyed my college years a lot more. I do regret the time I spent feeling uncomfortable in my body rather than getting out and enjoying life.

There is no reason not to make a lifestyle change at age 18.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Torregro - I'm so sorry about your son. That is so sad. =(

I think taking control of your health at an early age is a great idea. Besides, I know how hard it is to lose even 10 pounds once you're over 40!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Torregro sorry to hear about your son

becka, good on you, wish I'd started at 18 and good luck to you
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them. You are doing a great job, and keep up the good work! Does obesity have an age?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If 18 is too young to be losing weight then why are so many doctors, dietitians and parents trying to get their kids more active and eating better to slim down? I commend you for taking control of your eating habits now instead of down the road when you're out of control. My daughter just turned 17 and has been doing P90X with me. She isn't "dieting", just choosing better foods and she isn't even tracking. She's been trimming down from just these choices and she's feeling strong and better about herself. As her mom I am thrilled! Not because I want her to lose weight but because I see her taking control of her health at a young age. I see her confidence blooming and I see her more willing to try new things. I see her mood improving, her skin clearing and the beautiful young woman she is meant to be is emerging.

I think you're doing awesome and should just ignore the naysayers and keep making excellent choices. :)
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    just reply and say.. "did you know that 4 year olds can be obese?!? and do you know what doctors do when they are obese, and still 4 years old?? they put them on a diet. because just in case your little brain didn't have this peice of info in it - obesity is dangerous, and can be deadly." i don't think putting an over weight person on a diet is bad whether they are 4 or 70... it's putting non-over weight people on diets.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I was overweight as a kid and put on a diet, ate mostly fish fingers to the point I stopped likeing them!
  • phenomeva
    phenomeva Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm sure most of us, if we knew at 18 what we know now, would be very appreciative. I for one thought the metabolism and energy I had in high school would last forever! Jokes on me!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Focus on health, not weight. That is what you will appreciate when you are 40 and still fit. Develop habits by living a healthy lifestyle. Weight is such an arbitrary thing and is not to be trusted. Use MFP to keep learning new healthy choices you like and the cost of the not-so-healthy ones in moderation, learn how many extra calories you need on days you exercise and what calories will maintain your weight. So, I agree, don't use MFP to lose weight or focus on your weight, use it for the knowledge and health. Let the natural product of your learning be weight loss but not make it your focus. Build muscles, strengthen your heart, eat well.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Focus on health, not weight. That is what you will appreciate when you are 40 and still fit. Develop habits by living a healthy lifestyle. Weight is such an arbitrary thing and is not to be trusted. Use MFP to keep learning new healthy choices you like and the cost of the not-so-healthy ones in moderation, learn how many extra calories you need on days you exercise and what calories will maintain your weight. So, I agree, don't use MFP to lose weight or focus on your weight, use it for the knowledge and health. Let the natural product of your learning be weight loss but not make it your focus. Build muscles, strengthen your heart, eat well.

exactly!!!