Need help with ordering dinner!!

Options
Hello out there??? I need help!
I'm going out to dinner with my friends tonight. The dinner of choice is sushi/habachi grill. I've never had sushi or anything from a habachi grill. Can anyone offer me tips or suggestions to order that will stick to a low calorie dinner? I don't like spicy foods and I'm open to most seafood suggestions (except for octopus). I'm really going into this dinner blind and could really use some advice!

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I do hibachi shrimp with no rice
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    And considering the fact that your not into sushi if you do i would stick to brown rice sushi and maybe something with veggies in it i love cucumber rolls..if i am doing healthy.its just seaweed rice and cucumber... (although I have favorite sushi rolls and they are way fattening lol) sometimes the shrimp tempura roll isn't too bad considering on where you get it.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I love sushi but my daughter tells me it is absolutely packed with sugar. I would do shrimp...ful of flavor and low in calories.
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    WELL...

How many calories do you have to work with?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi but you typically dip it in soy sauce which just kiss the diet - not to mention the carbs in those rolls!

You can a TON of stuff from the Hibachi grill - chicken breast, shrimp, even the steak is pretty lean. Just order what you want without the rice. They do use soy sauce when they cook it so beware of the sodium.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Shashimi (the sushi without the rice) with the green topped soy sauce and wasabi is my #1 choice...I also like the cucumber salads (sunomo or something like that).
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sashimi, some rolls are healthier options. Stay away from the fried rice and most cooked foods (lots of oil and butter). . . California rolls, veggie or avocado rolls, salmon or tuna rolls. . . about 250-300 calories per roll (6 pieces). Or sashimi like tuna, yellowtail, red snapper, salmon. Say yes to the house salad and no to the soup.

If you prefer a safer option you could do a chicken dish with sauce on the side, but that is less fun.

You can also ask if they can cook your food with less oil or olive oil. Hibachi's are super fun but hard to eat healthily!

Enjoy- maybe this can be your splurge for the week?!?
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    mmm sushi. :)

my advice: no tempura. nothing deep-fried. low sodium soy sauce. if there is a brown rice option.. go with it. probably stay away from mayonnaise based sauces. stay away from cream cheese options. fresh fish = good. anything with the words "crunchy" in it is *probably* not a good option.

just be smart with your choices & stop eating when you feel full:)
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chances are they have Teriyaki Chicken. Ask them to put the sauce on the side. Order brown rice on the side as well and possibly steamed veggies.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're not familiar with sushi, then skip it. Cause hibachi chicken, shrimp, or beef is the way to go!! It's not spicy at all! However, it is a little high in sodium. If they offer teriyaki shrimp/chicken/beef, also good.. and NONE of it is spicy. And the hibachi veggies.... yummmmmm. When I go out for hibachi, I order extra veggies and no rice. That way I can pig out, without worrying about how much rice I'm eating.

Japanese food is mega-healthy and tasty. You're going to love it! And the hibachi chefs due these funny routines. Have fun!!!
  • StateOfActivity
    StateOfActivity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rolls are packed full of calories simply because of the rice in them. I'd stay away from to many sushi rolls they are pretty tasty, even if you think you don't like sushi) and go for hibachi. Just order without the rice, or a lot of rice. You'll be getting a ton of sodium though I'm guessing, so hydrate well after you get home.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    IF you can get Brown Rice sushi, its pretty good for you. Fish tends to be pretty lean, so just get some sort of sushi that sounds good. I like tuna rolls, or you could get any one of the pieces of sushi that are pressed rice with raw fish on the top. I personally like the tuna, salmon, or any of the others in the picture below.

http://1537news.com/images.news/sushi.jpg
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'd go with Hibachi Chicken, Shrimp or Scallops. They usually offer you fried rice, but it's optional and you can skip it. They will generally give you steamed rice on the side and it's up to you if you want to eat it. It usually comes with hibachi vegetables, a shrimp appetizer, ginger salad and miso soup. The ginger salad is my favorite!
  • jbozeman81
    jbozeman81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can order anything you like, as long as don't over do it. I generally get shrimp and scollops with extra veggies everytime I go. I also ask for a box when I first sit down and put half of my meal in the box as it is served to me.. It will look odd, and you may feel strange doing that, but who cares. I have lost about 34 lbs since December and I eat whatever I want when I want. I just watch portion size.

If you eat sushi you can probably order two rolls and keep the calories under 650, if you do hibachi you will end up taking in ATLEAST 1000 when its all said and done. If you find the food to good to stop eating, eat it, and do some extra cardio
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you guys are wrong about the sushi. Go to the database and look. Most of it (not all) has lots of protein, low in fat, 0 sugar. Yes, it has carbs, but it is a good healthy food choice. Yes, try to go easy on the soy.
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is a whole lot of great information. Thanks everyone soooo much! I can't wait to put my taste buds to the test!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I love sushi but my daughter tells me it is absolutely packed with sugar.

How so?