ProForm Treadmill..How does it know?

Options
I have a Proform 630QT Treadmill and was wondering how it knows how many calories I burn. Because wouldn't I have to program into it how much I weigh for it to know how many calories I would burn while walking/running?

It has the speed thing where I can pick the speed. It has a distance thing that tells me how far I go.
And then it has a calorie thing telling me how many calories I burn.
It also has this program where I can hook up to the internet or whatever and have a work-out downloaded onto the treadmill, but I don't use it.

Any clue? I would appreciate any info re this, and thank you.
sue

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    There should be a setting where you can enter your weight. But, all-in-all the calorie burn on it is a "guestimate" Some find it very accurate, some low, some high. If you didn't enter a weight in - I've found most are set for 150 pounds (at least the ones in hotel gyms are so I'm assuming home ones are also).
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Not sure about the treadmill, but I have an elliptical and it doesn't ask for my weight or age or anything. The calories are estimated based on whatever it is pre-programmed for (usually a 150lb male). I usually averaged the number I got from the machine and the number MFP gave me, but it's really just a guess. If you can afford it getting a HRM really is the most accurate estimate of how many calories you are burning.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    have you checked it vs hrm or some of the calorie calculator you can find on the web or against what it says here.

it might just calculate using the "average" person
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies.

I guess I will have to get a HRM.

Thanks again,
    sue