Extra Virgin Olive Oil how to store it?

Options
Are you suppose to refrigerate evoo after it's opened?

Thanks,
sue

Replies

• geraintf
    geraintf Posts: 15
    Options
    Nah just leave it in the cuboard/on your worksurface it will be fine.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Nope you don't need to refridgerate it I keep it on my counter next to the stove.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no need to refrigerate it. I guess you're not supposed to keep it by a heat source, but we usually forget and leave it next to the oven/stove.
    -LP
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kelliekent
    kelliekent Posts: 7
    Options
    It will keep longer if you don't leave it exposed to sunlight. Keep it in a dark cupboard. That's why you see the really large containers are cans and some of the more expensive brands use colored bottles. Light breaks it down after awhile. I always use mine pretty regularly so I don't really worry about it.
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    FINALLY..... i find out what EVOO term means on here...lol been on for months trying to figure it out... lol there is another term on here i'm not familiar with .. forget right now but when i see it again,i'll post for an explanation!
  • keeks419
    keeks419 Posts: 9
    Options
    Agreed. We toured the wineries in Italy and that's exactly what they told us - cool, dark cabinet.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have THREE separate storage containers for my EVOO.

I have the 7 gallon jug that I used to bring the olive oil. It has a rubber seal and I keep it closed very tight. I keep the jug in the wood box that we had built for transit.
    I have a 3 liter jug that I keep under my sink. I refill it as necessary from my 7 gallon jug
    Finally I have a stainless steel one pint can with a long spout that I use for every day. I fill it from the three liter jug under my sink.

We will go through about 6 gallons of EVOO in one years time. We don't keep the EVOO for longer than a year from the time of harvest. The EVOO that we're using now came from our harvest in October.

The shelf life of your EVOO depends on how air tight you are keeping it, the temperature, the light, and also the composition of the oil itself. (olive oil made from less ripe olives has a longer shelf life) Also pay attention to when it was packaged.. you may be buying oil that has already sat around for a year.