Best brand of HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar Ft4, it was around $90 and came with the strap!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I just purchased a Polar FT40 three weeks ago with free shipping and it arrived overnight from heartratemonitors dot com (I have used them in the past for my older FS3 HRM and a pedometer) and also found an $10.00 off total online code as well to help with the price of the HRM.......
  • QUETA2212
    QUETA2212 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    lol yeah it didnt come with a chestatrp , but then again none of them that i saw came witha chest strap, what makes the chest strap better? how exactly does it work becasue i kep my recipt and i plan to return it if i figure out something better, but like i said i dont wanna be spending 100 bux for this thing because im just getting started and dont know exactly what i am doing lol
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    lol yeah it didnt come with a chestatrp , but then again none of them that i saw came witha chest strap, what makes the chest strap better? how exactly does it work becasue i kep my recipt and i plan to return it if i figure out something better, but like i said i dont wanna be spending 100 bux for this thing because im just getting started and dont know exactly what i am doing lol

Without a chest strap it isn't constantly reading your heart rate. Most of the watch ones that I have looked at you have to touch the faceplate or a button for it to get your heart rate. So when they tell you how many calories you burned it is really just guessing based on a few heart rate readings. I know for me my heart rate changes a lot while I am working out, I run/walk and I didn't realize until I got my HRM how low my heart rate got when I was walking. I didn't want to spend much money either, but I decided it was better to spend more money now then to get a cheap one and have to buy an expensive one too later. I got a Garmin Forerunner 305 (about $130 of of amazon). Honestly it was a great investment and knowing what my heart rate is makes me push harder to try and keep it up.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 on Amazon for about $75 comes with the strap very accurate love it
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love my Polar FT4 too, so easy to use and wear, best thing I could have done
  • QUETA2212
    QUETA2212 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So I decided to take my other hrm back to walmart and I have a Polar FT4 on the way i did a comparison and theings linke that on heartratemonitors.com and that really helped a lot i dont want basic but i dont want advanced so this seems perfect and i spent 88 dollars on Amazon.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My fitbit just broke and I am debating whether I want to try a HRM instead of another Fitbit. I am used to wearing it all day like a pedometer to get a daily step count. Do HRM do that as well, or are you only supposed to wear it when you are working out? Also, can you work it where you use the chest strap during workouts, but then clip it to your pocket the rest of the day for overall steps/calories? I know they are not accurate re: the calorie expendeture, I just like to get a ballpark idea :-)
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 305. It is chunky/big but it tracks everything from your heart rate, calories, miles, gps, avg speed (runner or cyclist). you can upload your history onto your computer so you can see all your workouts and see trends. It has come down in price but due to all the features adn functions it is a little spendy. I saw them on amazon now for $120ish.

Just an FYI....not all heart rate monitors are calorie burn heart rate monitors. I have the Garmin 305 as well, and it's not accurate for calories burned. It's only a HRM for training purposes.

For example: I ran a half marathon with an average hr of 170 in 2 hr 15 mins. A week later I rode my bike 25 miles, average hr of 120 in 2 hrs 15 mins and it gave me the exact same calories burned. There's no way I burned as many calories on a leisurely ride than what I burned on my half mary. No way!

Just a heads up!