Silly question re: Sports Bra's

Options
So...it may be a silly question but, i purchased my first Sports Bra today, bought it in my regular size and it doesnt fit, i mean it is soooo tight it almosts cuts me in half! I am normally a 30HH and this is the size i bought, but my usual bras are a little on the tight size but this was just silly.

Question 1 - are you meant to buy the sports bra the next size up??
Question 2 - you sont wear your normal bra underneath do you?

Sorry for silly questions, but need to know if i need to send this one back, or hang fire, loose some weight and keep it and it will fit! lol

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I don't for either of your questions. I get mine from peacocks and get the size I take in regular bras
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm curious too. I have problems being comfortable in mine sometimes too. But I do not get "nice" ones either. I go with large and hopefully it fits.

Maybe some brands that people like would be helpful.
  • MarsMum
    MarsMum Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a large chest aswell (40H) and I just got a sports bra yesterday and it doesnt do a THING as far as holding the ladies in place! I have an odl ratty bra that I wear under mine and it helps a lot! I can jog without getting a black eye! haha!!!

I don't think normal sports bras are designed for larger chests (much like a lot of other clothes!)
    I hope this helped! :)
  • BLK8i
    BLK8i Posts: 4
    Options
    hi :) nice to meet you..
    well
    for question one... you should get a sports bra that will be snug but not to tight where it cuts off circulation. you dont want it to be squeezing, you know?
    for question two...no, you would only wear the sports bra, and not ur regular bra underneath..
    any other questions, feel free to ask me :)
    take care
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I buy my sports bra from Enell and the chest and bust size is in the middle of their size range for the bra I bought so I assumed it would feel comfy or on it's way to be loose. BUT it was TIGHT!!! The bra did come with a note to expect it to feel tight and it is because we are finally getting the proper support. "my girls" certainly do not move when I do my exercises. I only wear it for exercises, then as soon as I'm done I take it right off!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My problem is I cant find a sports bra that is tight enough,i hate any movement in that area when I exercise.So I will usally wear 2 sports bras over a normal bra
  • mdickhaut
    mdickhaut Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Target, I get them in my normal bra size. They are my new favorite place to get them. I tired a few Under-armor ones, but they were pricy and uncomfortable.

You aren't supposed to wear a regular bra underneath, but I do know that some women wear two sports bras if they need the extra support.

Just try some on and see what you're comfortable in. They are supposed to be tight, but comfortable to wear anywhere.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I once bought a Fruit of the Loom 3 pack and they are ridiculously small! It says 34C, but it looks more like a training bra! I like the one that Target sells. Bally also makes one, but I don't like those so much, the under-band is almost non existent and slides up, so kinda pointless.
  • MisstoMrs2012
    Options
    Thanks for your replies,

I think this one is just way to tight, maybe too smaller size, as i just cant breathe in it!, the ladies are fine in themselves but around my rib cage it hurts, only had it on for a few mins and was left with red marks all around me :-( back to drawing board i think.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    it depends on the brand. I find shock absorbers really weird on sizing. Freya is pretty true to size
  • Deeangelique
    Deeangelique Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have a couple and both are bigger than my actual size. Normally the cup size isnt the problem, but the band, so for example, if im a 38, i'd get a 40

U dont where ur normal bra underneath, u shouldnt need to. Though its not underwired, the sports bra should be tiight enough to hold them firmly in place
  • Franticantics
    Franticantics Posts: 117
    Options
    i always buy a few sizes too small ...
    I'm a 30E, but i always by a 28/30 B...i find it keeps the kids better under control :P
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34G and I haven't had money to invest in a really good sports bra yet, so as of right now I wear a regular underwire bra underneath a regular Champion sports bra. It works well enough for now, but if you are spending lots of cash on a good sports bra, you shouldn't need to double up. If it is leaving red marks around your chest and is noticeably uncomfortable, you may need to go a size up. Not every bra is size accurate. I wear a 34G in some bras, or a 36F in others. It just depends on how the bra is made. If the girls feel fine but it's just the band that's bothering you, then you may need a size up around the band. A sports bra should be snug and supportive, but not tight or uncomfortable.
  • SarzWix
    SarzWix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 recently, and they were just the same - far too tight. Mine are a 36H which is what I usually buy. Instead of faffing around sending them back, and waiting for a 38H to arrive, I ordered a pack of 'Bra Extenders' which are an extra set of hook & eyes on a piece of fabric. I figured this way, I can use the bras for longer as they will still fit once I lose weight. Might be worth a Google to see if you can get them? (If you're in the UK, I got mine from a site/company called 'Nicola Jane')
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    For sports bras or regular bras getting fitted by a professional is great. I never knoew what size I really wore until I did this. And the investment in a good bra is very important. Man, I sound like my grandma!
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to add a bra strap adjuster? You can buy them at any sewing/fabric place for a dollar or two, and (depending on the type of bra you have) it could make life liveable until you slim down and it fits looser?

I also have been buying mine at Target, in a size smaller, as I can't bring myself to pay the $$$ for a really good one. Before I found the ones at Target, I also would wear a regular, but supportive bra underneath of a tight cheap sports bra. But you're really not supposed to do that! Lol!!
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oops. Double post!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a large chest aswell (40H) and I just got a sports bra yesterday and it doesnt do a THING as far as holding the ladies in place! I have an odl ratty bra that I wear under mine and it helps a lot! I can jog without getting a black eye! haha!!!

I haven't run in years, but I started doing the same thing - wearing a regular (non-padded) bra under my jogging bra when I used to run. I still do it when I do Zumba. I'm not large chested (34D) but I want things to stay where they started out rather than end up at my waist.
  • blondiecheme
    blondiecheme Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, first off, I didn't even know HH was a size, lol. Let alone G! There are some very blessed women out there! I'm a 36 C/D which I used to think was big but I now feel is quite average, and I usually but a medium or small size becuase I like th feeling of tightness. I got a victorias secret sports bra in 36C and it is AMAZING! Totally worth the money. I used to wear 2 cheap ones, but the support from the victorias secret bra is amazing. I totally recommend it. Also, I wouldn't wear a regular bra underneath because it will get sweaty and gross. Good luck!
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    Haha, I never knew HH was a size either {this coming from a generous A cupped chick}. I have heard that VS sports bras are really good and I personally wear Under Armour. I don't have much to work with, but they're always safe and secure :tongue: