December - love it or hate it

I know I'm not the only one...
This is my absolute favorite time of year. However, it's also one of my most difficult times of the year. I have a insaciable love of grazing over the holiday food table - specifically, the dessert area. I have attended 5 holiday parties so far and have 3 more to go this month. For example, I felt like I did so good today...I clocked almost 500 extra exercise calories so I was able to go to tonight's holiday party with 768 calories to blow in my back pocket. HOWEVER, I flew way over my 768 calories (I lost count after the 2nd piece of cream pie). I logged some of what I ate, but gave up after I saw that I was already at least 200 calories over for the day (and that's with 500 exercise calories added in). And what's worse is I wasn't even hungry when I got to the party. It's almost like I have to take advantage of all that great food.

That just grossed me out. But, I don't even really give my calories a thought when I'm looking at all those homemade yummies. Isn't that just sad?

So far this month I managed to gain 3 pounds. Something I'm definitely not proud of - especially when I work out every day (but Sunday) and watch what I eat during the week.

How does one REALISTICALLY deal with this time of year? :sad:

Replies

• I know I'm not the only one...
    This is my absolute favorite time of year. However, it's also one of my most difficult times of the year. I have a insaciable love of grazing over the holiday food table - specifically, the dessert area. I have attended 5 holiday parties so far and have 3 more to go this month. For example, I felt like I did so good today...I clocked almost 500 extra exercise calories so I was able to go to tonight's holiday party with 768 calories to blow in my back pocket. HOWEVER, I flew way over my 768 calories (I lost count after the 2nd piece of cream pie). I logged some of what I ate, but gave up after I saw that I was already at least 200 calories over for the day (and that's with 500 exercise calories added in). And what's worse is I wasn't even hungry when I got to the party. It's almost like I have to take advantage of all that great food.

That just grossed me out. But, I don't even really give my calories a thought when I'm looking at all those homemade yummies. Isn't that just sad?

So far this month I managed to gain 3 pounds. Something I'm definitely not proud of - especially when I work out every day (but Sunday) and watch what I eat during the week.

How does one REALISTICALLY deal with this time of year? :sad:
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    You can't beat yourself up over this. But try some new strategies, maybe eat light all day in anticipation of the party food. What I have been doing this holiday season is planning what I will eat before I arrive for instance at the last party I knew what i had ordered for dinner so I was ok there on calories but was terrified of the appetizers that always circulate before dinner so I had made up my mind to tell all the servers that I am dieting and to try to avoid me. Guess what it worked ! I know for myself that I am afraid to even begin to eat a dessert for fear that I won't be able to stop especially cookies terrify me. I did eat 1/2 of the slice of absolutely delicious cheesecake served (my favorite) but I had worked it out in my head before hand that it would be OK to eat the whole slice. But at dinner my good angel talked me into leaving 1/2 (the fat 1/2). I was really shocked that I was able to do so and now one of my new things is trying to leave some bit of food on the plate whenever I eat out. It works and I feel really good about it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    erkuhns79,

I'm right there with you. Unfortunately I don't have any family, but fortunately don't have many parties to contend with either. I can get myself into enough trouble without them, though. Any food I am around is a magnet. Anyone's house this time of year is a minefield. I don't know how to stop the obsessive eating. I've read all the ways to stop and intellectually understand it, but somethng clicks and the sugar always wins. This time of year is so difficult for so many people. I'll be glad when it's over.

I went over by 1400 calories yesterday, I couldn't sleep and got up to eat the last 800. I didn't go to bed until 5AM. Arrrgghh. I hate it. I wasn't hungry, and now I've erased a week's worth of work. Okay, maybe not - but it sure feels like it right now. :frown:

I'm sorry you're having trouble, too. Tomorrow will be better. It's a roller coaster.

Cheryl
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I love this time of year as well. I only have one holiday party, tonight, and then Christmas Dinner. But whenever I'm expecting homemade sweets, I will plan ahead. Tonight, I'm having 4 pieces of chocolate (around 300 calories). I volunteered to bring the dessert so I know what to expect.
    Christmas dinner is at a very nice restaurant, so I don't know, but I can still plan ahead. I can either have 2 shared desserts that day, or one all to myself.

I will also immediately trash something that isn't absolutely wonderful (say at home or office party type place). If I'm going over calories, it better be worth every bite!
  • 've just joined this site and am encouraged to hear people saying what I feel. I have actually declined several christmas party invites because I am just so out of control. We all know intellectually what we are supposed to do but there's that disconnect between the brain and the hand going for the food. I find that when I am around a lot of food like buffet style I feel stressed out by all the choices and just want to eat it all!!!! I hate being so obsessed with food and wonder how some people just "eat to live" not "live to eat". I admit I am a foodie - I love good food but wish I could just get control. Exercise works great to ease the guilt of overeating - so I am not losing but hopefully not gaining.

I appreciate having a forum to express myself. Thanks to all who share on this forum!
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    I can relate to all of you, especially the buffet dilemma.

My main problem is not the sweets. I LOVE SALTY!!!!!! Give me a cheese ball or some chips and dip, party sandwiches, pigs in blankets (which is what I then feel like when I go get in bed at the end of the day!), and on and on!! I blow the fat, carb and sodium categories out the window. Then I do like a little something sweet to top it all off. :sick:

Tips like "eat before you go to the party" work sometimes, but an overweight "friend" of mine once said to me: "You can always find a pocket in your tummy to tuck the extra food in." Great advice when you're dieting.:grumble:

Sometimes I'll try to get a little, and I mean little, bit of alot of different things. If it's really delicious I may go back for more of that.

It's amazing to me how much food I had been previously eating. When you start honestly logging in ALL the food you consume..........yowzah! :noway:

I'm glad I have all of you who truly understand the daily struggles of eating choices.

I really LOVE Christmas but it can sabotage ya if you're not prepared. Hang in there everybody! :flowerforyou:

Sherry
  • It's so great to know that others are in the same boat as I am. My friends are amazed that I can manage to stay a size 8 (although that's slowly creeping up to a 10 this month) and eat as much as I do. I guess I've had enough self control that I only lose control at parties and I to try to remain as active as I can.

Let's enjoy this holiday season without going too overboard...and if we do, let's try not to be too hard on ourselves. We can always get back on track January 2nd (save Jan. 1st for pork and sauerkraut!). Thank God this is only once a year! :tongue:
  • baylou
    baylou Posts: 52
    I worked out and watched what I was eating lose 3 pounds then came a company party and guess what gain them back and a few more help
    betty