Hungry after working out

Options
I've noticed that after a good workout I am hungry. As in: could eat half the burger king menu kind of hungry. I'm sure it's due to my increased metabolism. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you deal with it? I had lunch after working out, but I'm still hungry! Arg!

Replies

• basschick38
    basschick38 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a snack or drink half of a protein shake 20 min. BEFORE my work out. This seems to help me not crave everything in site afterwards. Try an apple, or a piece of cheese. Something light, but something that'll carry you beyond the work out, then plan to eat a regular meal about an hour later if possible. Good luck.
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did until I spaced out my meals a bit. For example I wake up and drink a glass of water (5a). Eat breakfast at work around 7:45-8a. Eat a light snack, usually a fiber bar around 10:45. Run three miles at 11:30. Eat lunch at 12:30. Another snack around 3p. Dinner @ 6.

Do something like that with fiber rich foods and you probably won't feel the need to eat the house down after working out :)

PS - I used to be like you. I never ate after breakfast fearing that my workout would cause issues, etc. Boy was I wrong.
  • PIPICARTER
    PIPICARTER Posts: 3
    Options
    I GET THE SAME THING, DESPERATLY TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING GOOD TO EAT AFTER A WORKOUT, TO NOT ERASE THE ALL THE CALORIES I JUST BURNED...
  • HeatherBunnell
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks!

I'm trying to do better about eating breakfast. So far I've been grabbing a yogurt. But I think I need something a bit more substantial.
    Sounds like upping my fiber intake is a good idea. :)
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The apple idea is a good one. Eating something small that has a good combo of fiber/protein/carbs is good before a workout. Will provide you that boost you need and not be super hungry afterwards.

Just remembered there's actually a guy in my gym who eats a banana in the locker room right before he starts his runs. Try something like that. It's small enough that it can't make a huge difference in negating your workout.