I suck

Options
So I've only been on MFP for about a week, and I can't even get close to my calorie goal per day without going over by at least 1000 calories. I feel like a fat pig, And really, my net goal right now is almost 1500 I think (can't remember off the top of my head), and then I usually work out which adds me another 300 calories usually, so I'm technically allowed to eat almost 2000 calories per day, and I can't even manage that.

Anyone else have this problem in the beginning? How long did it take for you to change the way you eat, and any tips for me? I know I should be grabbing a banana instead of timmy's bagel for breakfast, and things like that, but once the thought is in my head it is soo hard to get out. Its like I get obsessed with the idea of whatever food pops in my head, and nothing else will satisfy me.

Replies

• justcraziness
    Options
    If I get a craving like that I will go ahead and have it, but only a small portion of it... So maybe if you want that bagel just have half. If you cut your portion sizes down that will help, and eventually you will figure out the foods that you can have more of versus the "bad" stuff, lol. Start with little changes and sure enough you will get there! :smile:
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Try eating lower cal foods... You can have a ton more fruits and veggies for 1000 cal than you can 1 hamburger. You'll feel alot fuller by eating healthier things as well.... There are also alot of low cal options out there for common foods we like. I have switched to eating as natural as possible now, but in the beggining when I was really craving pizza, I'd grab like a smart ones or healthy choice pizza.. Its still pizza but without the unneeded cals. They have desserts and everything else like that too... Lower calorie options without really sacrifising what you like to eat. If you have any questions feel free to message me. And you dont suck, you have already made the decision to do this, you are obviously on here for a reason. Every good choice you make is a step in the right direction ;).

~Nisha Rae
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    It took weeks for me to finally get there. I do a daily workout too, plus I walk 5 miles a day, which I don't log, precisely because of what you said in your post!! It's eating back all those burned calories. I mean, when I was logging my walks, some days my log would say eat 1700 calories or 1900 calories. I stopped logging every single activity I did, instead just logging my aerobic work outs and eventually my strength training when I get there. I just couldn't eat that much without eating poorly. So this week, I've made the choice for myself to stay within the 1300-1500 calorie range, and it's been working for me.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The whole process takes some time because you're pretty much having to retrain your brain. Give it a good solid week or two, look through other people's diaries to get some ideas.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Make small changes, one at a time so you aren't fighting with yourself or feeling overwhelmed.

I would start with the coffee you have in the AM....400+ calories! I love me some starbucks but I get a sugarfree soy latte and it is arond 220 and serves as my breakfast.

If you must eat the bagel...eat half. Immdiately throw the other part away or get an english muffin instead. There are little things you can do that will dratically change the calories you eat. I would not drink your calories either (short of the "treat" coffee...I get my starbucks once a month). Eat grilled instead of breaded chicken and fish, etc.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    YES! I did have that problem. I discovered that as I ate healthier and made healthier choices, the food tasted better and I started to crave it more. (For example, I never craved tomatoes, you porbably don't either, but ooooh, sometimes I can't get my mind off of tomatoes now!)

You do not suck . . .you just have a lot of habits to change (like all of us here on MFP) Just practice at it, drink lots of water during the day, and it'll come around.
  • Nharah
    Nharah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok.. so for a week you have been logging your diet. This is an excellent start. Now you have a baseline to work with. Make sure you are drinking your water and look at portion control. Do you need 2 whatevers to ease your craving? or would one and a glass of water do?

Baby steps and everyday is a fresh start on a new lifestyle. I am sending you a friend request, Add me if you like.
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    fill up on VEGGIES!!! have a small portion of the food you are craving and then fill up the tummy with veggies, berries, lower sugar fruits....u will get more fiber, vitamins and nutrients and healthy foods in ur system :)
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    So I've only been on MFP for about a week, and I can't even get close to my calorie goal per day without going over by at least 1000 calories. I feel like a fat pig, And really, my net goal right now is almost 1500 I think (can't remember off the top of my head), and then I usually work out which adds me another 300 calories usually, so I'm technically allowed to eat almost 2000 calories per day, and I can't even manage that.

Anyone else have this problem in the beginning? How long did it take for you to change the way you eat, and any tips for me? I know I should be grabbing a banana instead of timmy's bagel for breakfast, and things like that, but once the thought is in my head it is soo hard to get out. Its like I get obsessed with the idea of whatever food pops in my head, and nothing else will satisfy me.

Mamaboo - YES! It was tough in the beginning and some of the suggestions here are great - Higher protein will keep you full, etc.
    but remember - most of us have to re-learn not to munch, or eat just because, etc...

You are doing SO great simply by recognizing this - couple that with the workouts and the counting calories and look at the accomplishments so far... It will get better - keep up the hard work - keep going for it and if you need any help or have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know!!!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's a working progress kind of thing! Keep your head up and keep trying. Everyday is a new day!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I get that same obsession feeling with food. Like I won't even be hungry and I start thinking about something in my fridge or pantry and I actually start getting that hunger feeling and it won't stop until I've eaten whatever food I was thinking about! It drive me crazy! I don't really have any advise for you because I still struggle with this daily. I just try to keep only good, fresh, and healthy foods in my house. Try changing little things at first, baby steps. Add in a piece of fruit everyday or switch to reduced fat milk or yogurt. Taking on too much at once could end up being your downfall. Everyday is a new day, a new opportunity for change, a chance to better yourself. Good luck on your journey!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem.. it took me about 2-3 weeks to get more serious and really start eating good stuff instead of just less junk. I am far from perfect or being a "clean" eater, but the change to me is HUGE. It is NOT easy to learn what/how to eat to be at calorie goal and evener harder to meet all the other goals, like sugar and sodium. It is a learning process but you will be happy once you figure it out.
    I thought the same thing but now I am 8 weeks in and it seems like it flew by and now I am almost 12 pounds down. So while each day seems so long and a week like it is forever, hang in there because before you know it you are doing it and amazing things can happen.
    A banana would never work for me in the AM.. now on work days I eat the same oatmeal everyday. A packet of plain oatmeal in the microwave with some golden raisins, slivered almonds, cinnamon and blueberries or strawberries if I have them. I need to feel "full" in the AM or I munch all day. Find what works for you.. and learn from others diary's if you can.
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree that small changes are the best way. Pick 2 or 3 things to work on a week and focus on that, like water and walking for 30 minutes a day. Also go through your food journal and look for little ways to cut calories. If you suddenly cut 1000 calories from your diet you are going to be hungry and miserable. Good Luck.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Cut out the processed foods.

Cut your carb portions in about half (bagels, cream in coffee, breaded chicken, potatoes)

Eat ALOT more vegetables - especially leafy greens. Their fiber, along with whatever protein you are eating, will help make you feel fuller.
  • wendyloh
    wendyloh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is hard to go from eating 3,000 calories a day to half of that. Maybe you should try cutting back slowly, by 150 calories less per week until you get to your 2000 calorie goal. It's like running, you can't start off running a marathon, you start by running one mile, then two, and so on. It is hard, especially since your body will be asking for more calories to maintain the weight that you are at now, but keep thinking of your goal and remember that eating that extra portion of pasta means either working out for another 30 minutes or keeping that weight on. I hope this helps :)
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    hey, well done for starting this.
    would you like constructive critisisim on your diary?
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It takes time. just take a min a look at your food diary see what small changes you can do to help. Like my hubby he always goes over his. I looked at his food Diary 780cals just from what he was drinking. (sweet tea) i pointed that out to him so he cut back some. Little steps lead to far distances. Just keep motivated you can do it:smile:
  • DreaL
    DreaL Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but ...

I noticed that the more I worked out, the more my body asked for different things. So instead of going for ice cream now, my body is asking for yogurt. Or instead of snacking on cookies and stuff like that, I'll have a handful of cashews. I don't know about you but I also had to come to the realization that I ate out of either frustration or boredom. When I figured that out, I started doing other things, like playing a 5 minute game of fetch with the dog or even just drinking a big glass of water.

Keep going for right now and see if your body doesn't start asking for healthier things as you start getting fitter.

Good luck in all you do!!
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you. I struggle to stay under my 1,200 calories for the day. I use to average about 700 for breakfast! BUT I would usually burn 6-900 calories a workout, which was okay but I am trying to average out my intake throughout the day. I generally NEVER have lunch, as I work most afternoons and evenings, and wake up about 11am, so in reality I am having lunch.. almost, but I always call it breakfast. I've been cutting my calories somedays by having what I want but less of it(some days harder than others).

Lets say I would have,
    A Bagel W/ Cream Cheese
    Energy Drink
    Yogurt
    Averaging 650-705 Cals

I've been trying
    Half a Bagel
    Mocha Drinks, 20 less calories
    Vanilla Yogurt with a few Berries, and Granola
    Averaging 500-590 Cals

So what I am going to try and implement is something more the lines of
    Half a Bagel
    25 % less Sugar Chocolate Milk
    Apple, Banana, OR smaller yogurt and less granola
    Averaging 450-500 Cals.

And I will keep trying till I can get somewhere good, and if I need a snack later to balance out after a strenuous workout I can afford it.

I also have a food scale to help me see how many grams is what exactly. I bought it for 30.00 at my local Canadian Tire, it's the brand Starfrit. Great tool 0 I recommend it completely - especially with cereal, those calories can add up ALOT, even before the milk!

So my advice.. (just advice) is maybe keep some of the things you like but try small alternatives, slowly like I have.. and smaller portions.

This would be simpler if I didn't love food so much and variety. Lol
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Tough situation for sure!! Have you tried planning out your meals ahead of time and figuring the nutritional values before you eat?? That way it isn't a surprise afterward.
    Sometimes its just a matter of substituting higher calorie foods for lesser ones. Do you cook alot at home?? Homecooked foods are easier to manage than fast food or pre-packaged food.

I manage my calories better by planning between meal snacks at specific times of the day - that way I stay moderately full thru the day and I don't binge eat or overeat.

Wishing you luck and don't get discouraged - it takes time to develop better eating habits!

((HUGS))
    ~~PR