smoking> quitting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love this post as I have been battling the same thing right now. My "excuse" is my husband also smokes and won't quit. I am ready and keep saying tomorrow, but tomorrow always leads to another tomorrow. I wish you luck!
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    HI
    Like two or three others I joined MFP soon after giving up, in order to avoid putting on weight! It's a nightmare for 3 or 4 days, but after that.... it's fabulous! I smoked 15 a day for 25 years!! Give up this weekend, as you say. By next weekend, smoking will be history!!! Get Allan Carr's book. Brilliant. Gave up cold turkey, no meds or anything.
  • rwuchic
    rwuchic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix to stop it helped a ton. I've been free of cigarettes for almost 3 years. I weigh less now then when I was smoking. I found that exercise helped a lot with quiting. It's hard to smoke while jogging on the treadmill or doing a work out video. similiar to the fruit trick you need to replace the habit with something else a healthy habit.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    more tips. I was a pack and a bit smoker per day. I went from about 30 cig down to about 17 and went from a light to an extra light. The less nicotine your body is used to, the better. The cravings are less intense. And for me, the cravings took almost 4 months to really calm down - but they eventually did calm down. I would still love to have a smoke now but dare not try since I know I will be hooked again and start the suffering withdrawal process all over again. The reason cold turkey works so well is that you remember how awful the withdrawal is for life. A method of quitting that is easier is bound to fail. Why? Because you will just figure - hey I can quit again so you will be easily tempted to start again. Even thought the nicotine is out of your body after just a few days - it has actually reprogrammed your brain to crave it long after it is gone. Pretty evil stuff.
  • chynapassion
    chynapassion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to stop. Giving up a habit that's unhealthy for one that is healthy(eating fruit) this is going to be the wat I will try! Thanks!
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You know quitting I initially thought would be harder that dieting/exercising. But once I did everything else just fell into place. You won't miss it and you'll love that you can really breathe when exercising and can push yourself more. I used e-cigarrettes for about two weeks to help me with the cravings. Drinking a lot or water and chewing gum helps too. Good luck with quitting and getting to a healthier new you!! You're worth it! :flowerforyou:
  • freeradicals
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years, I quit 4 years ago and haven't had a cigarette once, nor have I any desire to do so. No cravings whatsoever.

It sounds ridiculous but I used a self help book. I usually laugh at such rubbish, but I personally knew a couple of intelligent, well educated people that used the same book to quit, and recommended it to me vociferously. I decided I'd give it a go and I'm glad I did.

I read the book and it worked. I would recommend it to anyone...

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
    ISBN:9780140277630
  • jmclowser
    jmclowser Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It's hard. I quit 2/22/06. Pick a date. Change your routine. You will feel, look, breathe better.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Everyone is addicted at different levels. If you can't control your eating because your craving a smoke, you will set yourself up for failure.

When you want to quit, you will and nothing will stop you.
    I have a couple of Black and Milds each day. At at some point I'll ween myself off of those and be done with it completely. I know they are disgusting, but at least I'm not smoking a pack a day like I used to. The moral is to take steps and find a way that works for you. Don't even try unless you are 1000000000000000000% ready to.

Chantix works wonders as well.