Running Rant

Options
I wish my boyfriend would help me more, I want to go for a run but I need someone to push me while I'm out there and he says he cant afford £3 for some cheap joggers to go with me, how else am I supposed to go if I'm stuck in this little village with no one else but him to go with!!
I'm only stuck here because my home is been renovated and literally has no walls in it :(

It just feels like he wants me to stay fat forever :'(:'( his own words are quite often "why do you want to change I think your fine just the way you are" sweet and cute, yes, supportive and motivating, no

Bahhh rant over, Now for the sensible side

How would you all get out for a run in my situation??

Please help me stay positive, Little Miss Optimist
xxx

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Go alone?

I've actually never run with anyone, well, besides other runners alongside me in a 5K...
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'd go alone, and take my cell phone.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i live for that time alone,,,, but i have a very busy loud house with two sons and a hubby so it's a little bit of me time, i do enjoy taking my running buddy vinnie.. are you in a position to take a pet with you..
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I always run outside by myself. I just put my iPod on with a good playlist and go. I actually prefer it to running with someone. I don't have too much trouble pushing myself, just set goals like "i'll run to that next tree and then walk for 30 seconds to catch my breath" or something to keep you moving. And yes, if you're concerned about safety, run in well-lit, populated areas and bring your phone.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Just go out and run... by yourself! You're the one who wants to be healthier/fitter/thinner... whatever it is. Just put one foot in front of the other and while you're running think of what the healthier/fitter/thinner you will look like... that's all the motivation that you need! I love running by myself!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    um...go without him. honestly...I gave up my workout routine years ago when I was with a boyfriend who couldn't exercise due to disability. He didn't support me going on my own...and I gained a huge amount of weight and lost my health, my fitness, and my self esteem. I am now undoing the many years and pounds of damage, but I will never again give up something that is healthy and enjoyable, because of a boyfriend. Your health is worth more than that :)

Good luck!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Alone. My boyfriend blew out his knees in his teens and is likely just a few years away from knee replacement surgery. Daily walking is painful, running is absolutely out of the question. However, my knees are fine, so I run. I let him know how long I plan to be gone and about where I will be (my routes change with my mood) and I have my phone.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    When he tells you that tell him "i need to do this for me, so I can feel better about myself" its about how you view you and you can't love until you love yourself and it goes with being comfortable around others by being comfortable with yourself not that your self concious or dont love yourself i am just merely stating a thought of mine in general. I have found that if I listen to music i will motivate myself or better yet when you run run somewhere where you will need to run back to get back to your house not laps persay.

maybe he can ride a bike?? or walk and have you run to loop back and get him...maybe he can drive? i dont know sweetie i am sure there is a way around it.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Try a program with specific goals for you to meet, like Couch to 5K. That way you can push yourself to hit those goals!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    You think it may push you to run more, but it only caused me injury and additional pain. It is best to run at your own pace. Get a mp3 player or something like that and , pop those head phones in and enjoy your run. Plus, if he is already not running, he probably would not be much help at pushing you to do better. He may hold you back.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Are we talking about night running?
    If not, try going on your own. You might actually like it: I really like being able to have some time to myself to think about absolutely nothing.

If we're talking about night running, though, be safe and carry your phone. Let your boyfriend know where you're going to be running and what time you will be returning. If he seems like he actually wants to run, maybe get him the cheap runners - though it's entirely possible he just doesn't want to go running :laugh: . Not everyone likes running...
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    go alone!

running with a partner is overrated. they never go at your pace. Get an mp3 player and enjoy it. I LOVE my runs alone.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend hates running (he does martial arts, that's his workout), so I do my own thing. Do you have any friends who enjoy working out or who would like to start? I have a friend/neighbor who regularly works out with me, whether it be at the gym or just walking/jogging around our neighborhood. Having a workout buddy really helps a lot to get you up and going, but you can find other ways to motivate yourself if you can't find one. You could also try enrolling in a workout class... having scheduled meetings helps to get you going. Or find a good workout video and do it at home.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Go alone! Personally, I hate running with other people. I just put on my headphones and listen to fast paced music. I recently got a HRM and that keeps me going. I usually walk/run and keeping an eye on my heart rate and making sure it doesn't get to low really is the best thing to push me. Also check out www.jog.fm you can choose music based on the beats per minute. Put in your pace or the pace you want and match your steps to the beat and it will help keep you going :)
  • demoschris
    demoschris Posts: 1
    Options
    I would suggest looking if there is a running group in your area. We have an organized group, about 40, that meets every Wednesday throughout the year. What is nice is they map out different length running routes and provide snacks and beverages at the end. You will get to meet people with common interests and get some exercise in too.