Help! Losing weight, but WHR is climbing, not getting lower.

Options
Don't let my siggy fool you; last week I had a 29" waist and a 40.75" hip, putting me at a WHR of .711.

Ok, I know this is going to really trip up the die hard fitness freaks on here; but that whole washboard ab/supertight core/straight line from your ribs to your hips thing that is so IN right now is so unattractive to me. It isn't sexy and makes one look like a prepubescent boy. Yuck... just ew.

Yes, I want to lose weight, I want to lose fat, but I want to keep feminine proportions & curve. I developed early and had a supermodel body at 15 (who didn't back then), so I KNOW I have the underlying bone structure there for a 26" waist and 38" hip, so it's not like I'm trying to attain a body type I'm fundamentally not. I can live with dropping down to a B cup anytime I get lower than 160lbs. I'd like to get my WHR in the .68 range again.

I've been doing lots of higher weight/lower rep when it comes to hip adduction (70lbs/10reps/3sets), abduction (90/10/3) machines, abduction on the cable tower (30 IS high for me on this/8/3 alternating sides), split squats (30+bar/10/3), single leg on thighsolator (45/10/3 alternating), etc. in order to "build out" my hips.

I tightlace at night (yes, that means wearing a steel boned corset) to attain some body modification in permanently compressing the lower ribs, so I try to avoid anything that targets obliques (need those malleable), I only recently introduced roman chair leg raises, incline sit-ups and stomach vacuum exercises.

Is there anything else out there in particular that I could be doing to lower my WHR? I'd love to hear from women who are close to my target BMI who also have a WHR in the .68-.7 range. How'd you do it?

Replies

• bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Tightlace? Ouch. That's a little mid-evil torture. Are you working on your transverse abdominus or just your rectus? Transverse abdominus will help flatten out the kangaroo pouch we all have. I think as you lose the extra weight along your middle you will fnd your WHR will sort itself out. I wouldn't worry about it until you are at your goal weight anyway.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Tightlacing does take some getting used to, but now I'm kinda addicted. Plus hubs likes :)

Saw a thread somebody else posted on trying to get her stomach to curve inward (guessing she's one of the aforementioned "core nuts") and posters there recommended oblique twists and V ups, which seems a little counter-intuitive (tightening/firming/building up the sides), but I'm getting a little desperate here.

Hoping that the lack of responses here don't mean that attaining a .68 WHR with a BMI in the 20-21 range is impossible.

Oh, and I believe I need more work with my transverse abdominus.
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Heavy oblique work will make your lacing a waste of time.