want to get a HRM but have no clue what to get HELP!!!

Options
I want to get a HRM...Ive seen on here they have ones that can calculate your calories lost as well.... Do they make one i can wear all day? to see how many calories i burned compared to my BMR??/ Im not sure how these work but id like one that wil atleast calculate my calories burned... also how much we talking??? $20 $50 $100?

Thanks

Replies

• Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I have a Timex one that I got on Amazon. Whatever you decide on, I'd recommend gettig one that comes with a chest strap. They seem to be more accurate than the watch only ones.
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Save
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get, get one with a chest strap. The ones that are just watches pale in comparison!

I have a Polar FT7 which I LOVE!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I bought the NB N4 at Target for $69. You can enter your personal data for a good estimated burn. Has a chest strap.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not designed to be worn all day.

Best HRM out there is made by Polar and comes with a chest strap. The chest strap is the most accurate reading of heart rate when you workout. :) Cheapest place to buy them is Amazon.com
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this question - I was looking at them last night and was overwhelmed with all the options and I couldn't find a sales person to help me. I'm just looking form something to calculate calories burned when I walk or jog. Looking forward to seeing the responses to this thread.
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex one that has a chest strap and tracks calories burned and you can get it on Amazon for about $40...works great and the price is fantastic!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    save to read later ;)
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4- just make sure you get one with a chest strap and you should wear it when you work out. I don't wear it all day just when working out, or out for a walk.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Not designed to be worn all day.

Best HRM out there is made by Polar and comes with a chest strap. The chest strap is the most accurate reading of heart rate when you workout. :) Cheapest place to buy them is Amazon.com

Exactly! :)

Also look on drugstore.com.. I got my Polar FT7 there for 79 dollars.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have the one with just the watch unit now and I am going to spend the extra money and get one with the chest strap this weekend. You have to constantly push the button on the watch and take your heart rate in order for it to be more accurate for calories burned. It's kind of annoying. I've seen lots of people recommend the Polar FT4 and FT7 - what's the major difference between them??

5491367.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Riotactor10
    Riotactor10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 this past Saturday and have been using it for my workouts this week. I used to use a HRM that was just a watch - after using both I highly recommend spending a bit more money and getting a model with the chest strap.

The FT4 costs about $80-100 depending on where you look and tracks calories burned, your target heart rate zone, current heart rate (obviously), and your highest HR during your workout. It also keeps track of your last 10 workouts. I've found it EXTREMELY helpful when I am doing strength training - I never knew how many calories I was burning. Also , I tend to vary my workouts so this is a good gauge of which ones really get your body going. Another neat feature is that the new treadmills/ellipticals at my gym have a polar monitor built in and will display your heart rate from your device! I discovered that little feature yesterday - very cool.

The FT7 is nicer as it allows you to upload workout data to Polar's website (and keeps a longer history), but it requires a separate link device to do this which is sold separately. If you're just starting out - go for the FT4. I can't comment on other brands, but from what I understand, Polar is the way to go.
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got mine from beurer and it comes with a chest strap and a bike mount. It tells you how many calories you have burned and how much fat you have lost and can save up to 100h of workout and its results. You can also put in your personal data and which HR Zones you want to stay in so it alerts you once you get out of your zone... its around $100.
  • raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I heard great things about Polar so that's what I ended up buying and I couldn't be happier with it. Its the Polar FT60, and its purple (a huge plus for me, LOL). It has so many features on it and its wonderfulllll. I couldn't imagine ever working out without it. They usually sell for $200 and up, but I found one on eBay for $185 and free shipping from a lady who sells Polar HRM's. Brand new in the box. If you are at all interested, let me know and I'll give you her seller name and you can look her up. She had a bunch of different Polar HRM's and 100% feedback. And she will help you pick one out before you buy it and she will also help you work it after you buy it. She is super friendly!

Hope I could help you!
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best in your weight loss journey. :smile:
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The one I bought I got at Target. It is a New Balance N4 Model and cost $69.99. You program it with your age and heigth, Male or Female etc. It comes with a chest strap that you wear under your clothes right where your bra passes at, and it also comes with the watch. Then when you get ready to exercise or at any time you want to you can set the watch to HRM and start it calculating when you finish you can save the exercise or activity. WHen you look at the data it will tell you how long you were active, how many calories burned, the percent fat burned, the maximum heart rate and the average heart rate. It is something that you can wear all day if you want to. I got mine about 6 weeks ago and I absolutely LOOVVVEEEE it, it is the best thing I ever bought for myself to help me along with fitness.
  • flojohns
    flojohns Posts: 6
    Options
    I just got a timex digital HRM that came with a chest strap. It was supers easy to set up and very easy to use. It was $100 on timex.com, but I know ebay has some good deals on them. Good luck!
  • QUETA2212
    QUETA2212 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i am having the same problem~ and i dont want a crappy one but i dont want to spen an arm and a leg..what to do what to do