Your Hometown Uniqueness

Options
124»

Replies

• marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    OMG, I LOVE Anne of Green Gables!! I keep telling my husband that I want to go up there and see that area!!
    [/quote]

Hey Tam,
    Let me know if ever you are coming up. I'll take ya to all the sites. One of my best friends came here for a visit this summer and I took her to see the stage production of "A of GG". I cry every time. You and I can go see it together when you come for a visit. We'll cry together:sad:
  • marskids
    Options
    [/quote]
    I know who she is :blushing: :laugh:
    [/quote]
    Hahaha, it's o.k. , you don't have to be embarrassed. Wanna come see the show with Tam and I? You can cry with us when Matthew dies.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town in nc. Most people have never heard of the town but we actually have a university here. Western Carolina Univeristy. Go Catamounts.... We have the smoky mountain railroad and the train wreck from the movie The Fugitive was filmed here. I actually worked at the hospital they show in the movie.

heehee I know where you live!!
    But I went to Appalachian State myself so
    GO APPS!
    A.jpg
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Anne of Green Gables is my neigbour. Does that count as unique???

(I am making a BIG TIME assumption that someone outside of Canada and Japan knows who Anne is)

I do I do!!! lol

Me too, me too!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Winston Salem, North Carolina

Home of RJR Tobacco and all things lung cancer.
    Home of Texas Pete hot sauce (yummy!)
    Home of Krispy Kremes!!
    Home of Hanes Brands (think underwears!)

Just down the road from this cool sign
    climax-high-point-amuzing-sign-on-the-side-of-the-.jpg
    Yes, I always laugh when I pass it on the roadways myself!:laugh:

Plus, this cool tidbit:
    By the early 20's, the RJ Reynolds tobacco company was the largest tobacco company in United States and its only brand of cigarette, Camel, was the number one brand. This prosperity and the need for office space prompted the company to begin planning the Reynolds Building, which would become the first skyscraper built south of Baltimore.

The building was designed by Shreve & Lamb, a New York architecture firm that would go on to design the Empire State Building. The design won the National Association of Architects' "Building of the Year" award in 1929 and helped to cinch the Empire State Building commission for Shreve & Lamb.

Construction began in March of 1928, and was completed by April of the following year. The building opened officially on April 27th, 1929. Total cost of construction was $2.7 million.

Like the Empire State Building, the top of the Reynolds Building is lighted, and as such stands out in the Winston-Salem skyline. Since 9/11, the lights have been changed to a red, white and blue configuration.

reynoldsbuilding1.jpg
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    My home town has around 375 people. You have to cross a cattle guard to get in and out of the town...which is otherwise surrounded by fence. I believe this is the only town in the USA to be completely fenced in. Butte Falls, Oregon.

When I was born, my great grandfather was a pastor there, one grandfather owned the general store, and the other was the school principal. I was the oldest grandchild...and very doted upon.:heart:

mcgloughlin2a.jpg
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I live in Blacksburg, VA....home of

ahc-10089.gif

and

t_41-01.jpg
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I don't have a picture yet, but on a bike ride a few weeks ago I came across an old barn that people had turned into their "home", but the best part was their yard art, so to speak.........drum roll please.........

A giant Shoney's Big Boy statue. Yes, like the original one that stood in front of Shoney's Restaurants.

I live in Alabama, so I should be used to unusual "yard art", but this one was just a classic!! I am surprised the man who lives there has not been on the weather channel talking through the hole where his front teeth used to be telling the world about the tornado that just "tow up" his house!!!! That seems to be all they show from my beautiful state!! Some of us actually do have most of our teeth:laugh: but they never interview me!
  • AshliColon
    AshliColon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in Juneau the capital of Alaska...population 30,000+. In our backyards we have gold mines, glaciers and national forests! It's quite beautiful here! We gets TONS of rain and this year we had a very unsunny summer, but despite all that my hubby and I managed to tick of several hiking trails off our list. There are so many it will take us a couple years to complete them all. The longest hike we did this year was 4.5 miles (one way, top elevation about1200 ft) which led to a cabin on a lake. We didn't stay in the cabin, but plan to next year and kayak on the lake. It'll be awesome!!

--ash :bigsmile:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Climax? Population of what? busy town?
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Anne of Green Gables is my neigbour. Does that count as unique???

(I am making a BIG TIME assumption that someone outside of Canada and Japan knows who Anne is)

I absolutly love Anne of Green Gables. I love the movies. I have never actually read all of the books though. I have all 3 movies but I need to reget them because they are on VHS and we dont have a vcr anymore except in my sons room.

Connie
  • marskids
    Options
    Hey Connie,
    You can come to the stage show and cry with us!!! :cry:
    In the movie I love Megan Follows as Anne. She's the best.