Cooking Oil

Options
nichole325
nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
Okay so whenever I cook chicken, or saute veggies, I always put a little bit on Smart Balance oil...because I'm not sure how else to cook it!

Last night I was trying to make some "lowfat" fajitas...which turned out amazing..until I looked at the Smart Balance calories...

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for me...how can I cook "lowfat"

Replies

• nichole325
    Options
    Just in case anyone was wondering...I just sizzled the chicken in chicken broth and it was yummy!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I use straight up sunflower, or olive oil. The fats in those are very good for you. Lowfat can be a dangerous trap...gotta be careful.

Oh...peanut oil too.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree! Sunflower Oil, Grape seed Oil, and Olive oil are great but.... If you babysit what ever you cooking very closely you can also avoid using any oils at all, all you have to do is sprinkle small amounts of water while you stand and watch it : )
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I agree! Sunflower Oil, Grape seed Oil, and Olive oil are great but.... If you babysit what ever you cooking very closely you can also avoid using any oils at all, all you have to do is sprinkle small amounts of water while you stand and watch it : )

The thing is, the fats in those oils are actually healthy for you =D.

That was my point in the comment about watching out for the 'lowfat' trap. I don't use tons of those oils when cooking...but I don't worry about eating them either. My very favorite salad is a chicken mozarella spinach salad, in which i cook the seasoned chicken in olive oil...but don't drain it. I put it in a bowl, then toss in the fresh mozarella while it's still warm. The cheese partially melts to the chicken...and the oil (I didn't use much in the first place) makes its own very light dressing. Throw it in with spinach and other greens, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower....and oh wow =D.

Anyhow...unless there is another health reason not to...other than the whole 'fat' thing...I wouldn't worry about using healthy oils to cook with.

Oh, also...I use the virgin oils...to avoid the whole 'processed' thing lol.

Cris
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    some meat has enough fat on it like chicken thighs cook it with water but i would use olive oil if you need oil to fry with
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I use a nonstick pan with a little drizzle of olive oil. In a whole dish (usually 4 -6 serves) there would be no more than a tablespoon which adds about 120 (I think) cals to the whole dish. That's only going to be an extra 20 or 30 cals per serve.
    My philosophy is that it is better to use a little bit of the real thing than try to find alternatives. I've also moved away from being paranoid about fat - our bodies, and especially our brains need it to stay healthy, so if you choose healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, avocado) you are actually doing your body a favour.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I just use spray oil to coat the pan so it doesn't stick and then when it gets going I just add a bit of water.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good Olive Oil. Yes, there is fat and calories...but like everyone else said, these fats are good for you. That being said, don't drink it by the cupfull or pour a ton you foods. A little is great, delicious, and great for cooking.
  • nichole325
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!