What food has shocked you?

Options

Replies

• dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the supermarket sandwiches! When I first started properly counting calories I was going to go for one as a health choice, but they were all 400 cals+! So shocked!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    alcohol.... my favorite drinks is a white russian.... 300 calories :( I drink them anyway... just only once a month!)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    egg YOLK and hot drinks for places such as starbucks/costa etc
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    RAMEN! It's my guilty pleasure. I just never read the package closely. It says 190 calories. Too bad they consider one package 2 servings. That's 380 per pack. OUCH! I know the sodium is high that was no surprise.
  • corysboredagain
    Options
    mini wheats D:

i miss them sometimes, but it's not worth it. i'd much rather have yogurt and fruit and granola or some egg white with parmesan and tomatoes and spinach then a simple bowl of cereal.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I nearly fell out of my chair when I plugged in the recipe for my famous Chocolate Mousse Pie.
    One slice = 1,060 calories.
    ONE slice! One THOUSAND sixty calories!!!!!

Um... looks like I won't be making this EVER AGAIN.

Oh my! Well, at least now you know! :noway:
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I like going to Chipotle but the tortilla is 300 calories by itself, so I get the bowl and skip the tortilla and load up on the veggies.

Chicken and Biscuits at the Cheesecake Factory is over 2200 calories., if you Google the calories of their foods the calorie count is huge lots of dishes there are over 1500 calories. one of them is over 3000 calories.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    Ramen is leathal , I don't eat them any more
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Raisins! - Just one hand full is around 100 calories. You would think because they are a dried fruit that they would be healthy, but loads of sugar is used to dry them :(

And I only found this one out yesterday but ONE Haribo giant strawberry is 50 calories!! I know they are sweets but I was expecting 20-25 calories each! Unfortunately i'd already eaten 4 when I realised :(
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Peanutbutter! 190 calories in 2 tbls 130 which are from fat - insert tears here
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    PEAS!!!! I didn't realise how high in calories they were, but they are full of natural sugars and goodness so its kind of a catch 22!
  • Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Generally carbohydrates in general, epecially brown rice, have been eating far less rice and pasta and far more veg!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Restaurant salads. I saw one in Red robin that was 1,400 calories.

Yep. The salad from Olive Garden still makes me shake my head in disbelief. One small serving is 350 calories. :noway:
  • Peromei
    Peromei Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hm.

Milk? Does that count? I didn't realise it'd be so high in calories (even though in retrospect it should of been obvious). I was a huge milk drinker and I used to pile my cereals with it. *bemoans its lost*

I used to drink milk all the time when I still lived at home. When I went to college, I found almond milk-- 90 calories per serving (60, for some), and it doesn't make me sick when I drink it in the morning. I'd recommend it.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is fine. It's got wonderful fats that our body needs much like Pistachio's or Almonds do just eat it on Celery or a couple whole gran crackers. I am amazed by how many calories fast food and restaurant hamburgers have. Generally speaking 3 times the calories or a grilled at home burger.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Logan's Steakhouse Mini Buckets:

550 calories according to MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/logans-roadhouse-mini-bucket-chocolate-brownie-4532860

Yeah, it's a desert, but it's about 2 tablespoons of desert! I've never in my life seen anything so calorie dense! I consider peanut butter the most calorie dense food out there, but this tiny, TINY Mini-Bucket has over twice the calories of the fattiest peanut butter in existence.

So much for a couple bites of desert to finish off a healthy meal.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Also, when you consider that vegetables are pretty low in calories, corn is surprisingly high for a vegetable.

This one shocked me!!

That's because corn isn't a veggie, it's a grain. :)
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    Also, when you consider that vegetables are pretty low in calories, corn is surprisingly high for a vegetable.

This one shocked me!!

From Weight Watchers all vegetables are zero points per serving EXCEPT corn and cooked carrots. Too much sugar and cooking the carrots concentrates the sugar.
  • christin14
    christin14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yogurt! i love it and if im on a food crave i find that it's satisfying to shovel in a couple spoonfuls. by the end of the day can sometimes finish the whole container...and it added to 700 cal. oops...
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker, which some people have already said though, was tortillas. They are killer!