Someone Please Explain The Depo Shot

Options
Okay, so I've never had an 'easy' time losing weight, but ever since starting the Depo Shot (6 months ago) its become nearly impossible. I measure my food to the gram, eat no more than 1400 calories and 100 carbs/day (insulin resistant), limit sugars to <20g/day, exercise 6 days a week (alternate stregth and cardio), get in plenty of veggies (sometimes I dont log the veggies though). Doing this previously I've lost ~2lb per week. I have a bodybugg, so I can fairly accurately track the number of calories I burn.

My question is, I know depo can make you gain weight, but HOW does it do this? Would it also logically make it more difficult to lose weight? Does it just make you hungrier (something you can control)? Does it actually scientifically make you gain weight by slowing your metabolism or some other way (something you cant)?

Please help, I'm so sad today :sad:

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    This is only anecdotal but I've heard from friends that they literally could not lose on depo...they described it the same way you did (good diet, working out, no weight loss)
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think it has different effects on different women. I have been on it for like three years and can lose weigh when I actually try :) But the nurse at my gyno said she gained a bunch of weight on it. I would just contact your gyno or ask her the next time you go in for your shot. I also don't have a period with it which I think is a great bonus. It's really what works best for you.
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    I was always under the impression that birth control could cause you to gain weight because the hormonal changes could increase your appetite. And that the birth control itself doesn't actually MAKE you gain weight. Is this true, anyone?

Regardless I've always been to scared to try depo for just that reason. So I stick with a lower dosage of hormonal b/c.
  • melanieh_avon
    Options
    What a coincidence, I was just researching this topic this morning. I cant help you, since I never really found anything, but I would also like to know the answer. I have been on depo 3 seperate times. I have gained weight each time but the first two I was not really trying to lose weight and I gave into all the intense cravings so it was actually all my fault and I didnt really blame the depo, just my lack of willpower. 3 years ago (while not on the depo) I lost 40 lbs. I have been able to keep this weight off until recently. I got back on the depo in October. Since then I am up 25 lbs. I started really trying to lose weight in Feb. but have gone off and on the wagon with the diet. I do really well with exercise, but have a hard time not giving in to the cravings. For almost a month now I really focused on my diet. Like you I am counting calories, working out, eating well. But my weight just hovers around the same number and fluctuates 3-4 lbs a week. I DONT GET IT!!!!! I love being on the depo, and it is my perfered method of birth control, except for the weight gain. I hope it doesnt hinder us from actually losing weight though. Hopefully someone can help with this question...
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    omg! i GAINED 50lbs in 3 months after getting a depo shot. i had never been on birth control and decided to start with depo. i didn't change anything. i didn't eat more, i continued working out and i just gained the weight like crazy. i have NO idea how it happened but i know that i gained it and it took me 3 years to lose it. i personally know 6 people who gained 40 - 60lbs on depo. one of them was a size 0 and only 110lbs when she started and ended at 170!! poor girl. apparently depo works because it makes your body think it's pregnant or something...idk. it's weird though. i will never use depo ever again!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That's so interesting. I've never heard of that, but now that you say it, I've been on the depo shot for almost a year and a half and have had a heck of a time losing weight. I've only lost 10 pounds. I wonder if that's the culprit. I'll be calling my gyno!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression that birth control could cause you to gain weight because the hormonal changes could increase your appetite. And that the birth control itself doesn't actually MAKE you gain weight. Is this true, anyone?

Regardless I've always been to scared to try depo for just that reason. So I stick with a lower dosage of hormonal b/c.
    Ive never looked into it for flow/birth control either, for the same reason as you. I've heard stories where a girl would gain 80 pounds while another girl would waste away. I didn't know they personally, just stories when I inquired others about the depo, but it kept me away. I've been on Yaz for a few months and I haven't noticed any "hormonal" weightgain, just a change in my appetite. crave sweets like NUTS on yaz. I recently had to get taken off of yaz and onto a lower dose because the hormones were triggering migraines. No migraines since my switch last month!
  • alylynn10
    alylynn10 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the Depo Shot the first year of college & gained 15lbs that I had lost. I was so angry. I was stupid to get it twice. But after that, I've stayed away, realizing it was the shot all along.
  • leelee243
    leelee243 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As someone who's been on Depo previously and an RN, I know that the weight gain/difficulty losing weight is largely due to depo being progesterone-only. Pills are combo pills with estrogen and hormone derivatives. Depo is also systemic, meaning the hormone acts all over your body/ is in your bloodstream. The Nuvaring is progesterone based but is "local" so it can be a better option and people sometimes don't gain as much weight on it... it also can make periods lighter. Good luck!
  • ltaylore
    ltaylore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am on Nuva Ring and it definitely caused me to gain weight. It also makes it very hard to lose that weight. When I read through all the side affects it stated that Nuva Ring changes the way your body processes carbs which can cause weight gain. I don't know if the depo shot is similar but that may be the reason.
  • alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been on Depo for 6 and a half years. I love my Depo minus the mood swings when my body gets to the end/beginning of the shot cycle. It did not cause weight gain solely on its own - I was on it a full year before I started gaining due to another medication. After reading the pharmaceutical insert of the medication, I learned that the average 6 year weight gain on Depo is 16.5 lbs. Everything I've read doesn't know the exact reason as to why it causes weight gain, whether it be appetite or by slowing the metabolism. I will have to judge it when I get to those last 16.5 lbs before I blame my chub on the Depo. If you don't plan on getting pregnant in the next five years, I would look into a Mirena IUD. You do NOT have to have children already to get this type of IUD and many doctors will place them as long as you are in a monogamous relationship. The Mirena is my next purchase. :-)
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question but I gained about 50 pounds while I was on it! My metabolism has never been the same since. There are plenty of other options out there and I wish I would have done something different.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This has all been SO helpful guys, I wish I'd posted a month ago. But a month ago I hadn't considered Depo being the culprit. I've tried googling this and came up pretty dry, but I'd still love to hear any science-y info or even anyone else's experiences. This has made me feel so much better and completely filled me with hope again. You guys rock. :drinker:
  • jadeymum
    jadeymum Posts: 26
    Options
    Depo worries me i had 3 shots of it after my son was born and havent been able to get pg since. My bmi is 25 so not due to weight. Tried solidly for 2 and half yrs after 3 shots after son was a happy and blessed surprise. I put on 10 with rhose shots and at time bmi was 22. Not trying to scare anyone etc but i wish to god id never had it in case things would havwme been diff and my boy would have had bro or sis. If u arent happy look for alternatives x
  • Beautiful_Fury
    Beautiful_Fury Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I work in the health care field and there has been studies on Depo and the affect it has on women and weight gain..

The actual study proved that on average Depo only causes a 2 pound weight gain per year.. Of course this would vary per person.

I personally know a lot of women who say they gain a lot of weight on Depo, but I have been on Depo for many years. During this time I have lost 100 pounds and I am working to lose even more.

Hormones do cause different reactions in different people, so it is always good to contact your physician if you have any concerns.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    1. Estrogen and progestin affect women differently. While one person can have violently bad side effects to hormonal birth control, another has very mild side effects.

2. The side effect isn't necessarily weight gain, but may be - excess water retention, increased fatigue, increased appetite.

I've also read some studies lately that women who are on birth control have a more difficult time building muscle as part of a strength training regiment. Not sure where I read that...

Anyway, count me in on the weight issues while on birth control. I had severe fatigue and increased appetite on birth control, and as a result put on weight due to eating more, not working out. I also had depression on birth control which was absolutely surreal having never experienced anything like it before in my life.
  • Mathlete22
    Mathlete22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Study from 2009:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-women/2009/03/04/is-your-depo-provera-causing-weight-gain

Somewhat helpful. Bottom line: they know depo makes some women gain weight because of the high level of progesterone but do not know why or why some women don't gain weight and others do.
  • kels1120
    kels1120 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally have been getting the Depo shot for about 6 years. I didn't gain any weight, but I know that isn't the case for many people. My doctor told me she had patients who gained 50+ lbs because of the Depo. She also said if you are going to gain weight on it, it will happen in the first year of taking it (your body is adjusting to the hormones). So everyone reacts to it differently. I originally was on the pill but had to switch over to the Depo because it is progesterone based (the estrogen based pills were making my blood pressure go through the roof!) I always thought that it was hindering my weight loss, but then I realized I wasn't really trying very hard. Now that I am trying harder, the weight is coming off. I also love the Depo simply for the convenience of not getting a period. If you haven't gained any weight from it, but also haven't lost any weight, I would just keep trying. Try to change things up. Maybe work out more or less, change your calorie intake, drink more water, etc. and see if anything helps. Unfortunately, even if you do switch birth controls you may end up having the same issues because of the hormones.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Depo doesn't make you gain weight... It make you hungry and hand to mouth makes you gain weight... Or atleast that's how my OB explained it lol

I was on depo for a year... Gained 25lbs.... I was hungry ALL the time! Second shot I started having bad insomnia and hot flashes for the first two weeks following the shot...

I did love that it was worry free and I had no periods though!

I switched to Inplanon which is 1/3 of what 1 depo shot is and is good for 3 years... I LOVE it!
    I've been loosing the weight... It was hard though because I learne to eat huge amounts to keep from being hungry so I had to relearn healthy portions...
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Depo worries me i had 3 shots of it after my son was born and havent been able to get pg since. My bmi is 25 so not due to weight. Tried solidly for 2 and half yrs after 3 shots after son was a happy and blessed surprise. I put on 10 with rhose shots and at time bmi was 22. Not trying to scare anyone etc but i wish to god id never had it in case things would havwme been diff and my boy would have had bro or sis. If u arent happy look for alternatives x

If you ha read the drug information pamphlet that comes with your depo shot it says in there it can take 3/5 years to get pregnant for some women... Some get pregnant immediately but most take a year afterwards