Why am I still hungry?

Options
On a "healthy" day, I eat the following:

breakfast: oatmeal
banana

AM snack: toast w/ cream cheese or peanut butter

lunch: roast beef or other deli meat sandwich w/ cheese and spinach (using sandwich thins)
piece of fruit

PM snack: steamed veggies or fresh fruit

(I eat dinner but am not including it)

I feel like I only have maybe an hour between each meal/snack and then I am starving again. hunger pains, grumbly noises, etc.

I am drinking from a 20oz water bottle and as soon as it is empty, I am filling it up again. So I typically drink 60oz by lunch. What foods can I eat that will fill me up longer? Since I'm sitting at a desk (bored 90% of the time) it is hard to keep my mind off of food - whereas when I am at home, I can clean, workout, watch tv or a movie , anything to keep my mind off of food.

So what am I missing?

Replies

• dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Your daily food sounds good. the only thing i might change is try added an extra fiber whole wheat bread to anything like sandwhiches and put berries and friuts in your oatmeal. Hope that helps?
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I'd add some protein which keeps you full longer. A favorite snack of mine at my desk is cheese sticks, about 70 calories per stick but 8 grams of protein.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try a more protein based diet and swich out the snacks for something with more protein. Protein is what keeps you fuller longer. You can also try adding protein powder to your oatmeal that should also help.

Good Luck!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is cut out for the "many small meals a day" plan. I know that it doesn't work for me! Without feeling *full* my stomach thinks it's hungry all the time.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more protien. I found with myself when I ate oat meal for breakfast, I was hungry sooner. I make a very high protien shake/smoothie for breakfast, it seems to do the trick. I can go 3-4 hours with out feeling hungry. I find if I eat alot of carbs I am just hungry. I think it has something to do with the spikes in the sugar levels. So I opt for low fat, low carb, sugar free, high protien foods! Every one is different. I hope this helps you!
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would try figuring out if u are really hungry...like you have a feeling of hunger in your stomach, or are you just thinking u are hungry. I am trying a new thing where I only eat when I feel the hunger feeling. I am eating wayyyy less than I was before..and find myself thinking I am hungry..but find that I am not feeling it. So..it may be more mental than actual hunger..just a thought:) I hope you figure it out!
  • volleybfanatic
    Options
    I was told to add ground flax seed and maybe protein powder to my oatmeal. I was told that more fiber and protein should keep me full and that I should stick to oatmeal and not eat wheat bread because it is basically pulverized which makes it like white which is like eating sugar.. I was also told that if I HAVE to eat bread to buy Ezekiel sprouted bread because this is truly 100% whole wheat.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can also try adding protein powder to your oatmeal that should also help.

Good Luck!

Good idea, I will try that =0)
  • redrustdobe
    redrustdobe Posts: 43
    Options
    I also suggest more protein. I sit at a desk all day and know how long the day can seem. Light string cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, and greek yogurt and all good protein snacks that will help you feel full.
    I always have protein at breakfast, try a protein shake mixed with fruit or add protein powder to your oatmeal as previously suggested.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would try figuring out if u are really hungry...like you have a feeling of hunger in your stomach, or are you just thinking u are hungry. I am trying a new thing where I only eat when I feel the hunger feeling. I am eating wayyyy less than I was before..and find myself thinking I am hungry..but find that I am not feeling it. So..it may be more mental than actual hunger..just a thought:) I hope you figure it out!

No, I know the difference. I eat when I am bored - even back when I was eating unhealthy foods, I wasn't hungry I just wanted food. I am seriously getting hunger pains, no fun!