How do I choose a personal trainer?

Options
They are called CPT which stands for "Certified" Personal Trainer. Which certification is the best? How do I know which trainer is right for me?

Replies

• Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I want to know this also!
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great question. I want to know as well.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    I would ensure they are certified, ask for references and proof of results. The trainer should consult with you and be clear or your goals. I have had a lot of success with my trainer, he developed an individual program for me and it varied each time so my body is constantly being challenged. I had one hour sessions, I arrived 30 minutes early and warmed up on the bike so that I had the full 60 minutes to work out. I
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've never had a personal trainer, but this is what I think you should look for:

- someone that actually listens to your goals and works for you
    - someone that doesn't try to make you conform to their program that they are having everyone else do, they make a program for you

I say get as much free time with them as you can to try them out. Don't just choose the first one you see, shop around. If you do strength training and he doesn't first have you start with light weights, teach you how to lift, and check your form, run away. This is how you get hurt. Try to find someone that believes in combination moves (squat, deadlift, etc) and doesn't have you do a ton of isolation moves, it's a waste of both of your time.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Most should do a free trial or consultation session, so I would suggest the one who is best for you is the one you feel most comfortable with at consultation.
  • lisakchurch
    Options
    CPT is certified personal trainer. The best certification is on a National level and the most respected certs are from ACSM, and ACE. When choosing a personal trainer you should make sure that they have experience with nutrition. Each PT has a specialty, the more specialties you have the more able you are to get a client results and keep them healthy. Ask a potential trainer if they have martial arts training, life coach training, sports nutrition training, and training for special populations. Don't forget that Trainers are SALESPEOPLE! They will tell you things to get you to buy sessions. They have quotas! It is better to buy a small package of sessions first, even if it is more per session, than to end up with 6 months of sessions with a trainer whom you don't gel with. A trainer/client relationship is very intimate, so choose wisely. Good Luck! Lisa Church CPT/Nutrition Coach
  • cvaneaton
    Options
    That is very true! I shopped around and ended up selecting a trainer at a gym that I joined after observing him with other clients and meeting him.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i think personal training is a personal thing, it's about how comfortable you feel with them, and how hard they make you work.

i have tried 3 trainers this year, and 2 of them were great, but the one i've got at the moment is the best out of the lot. she is sooooooo young and i really didn't think she was going to be the one, considering i've had 2 kids and wanted someone who kind of understood my being a fat old bag.... i thought "oh no, she's just out of school, she won't have a clue".

but man, she kills me. every week her session is tailored to me, and every week there is something new that i haven't done before. i expect that, if i come out of the session not feeling like i'm going to drop on the floor, it wasn't worth my money. i want to be worked hard, i want to be sore, and i want to push boundaries. if i didn't want it to hurt, i'd just go and do a class and save my money.

it's not like she just turns up and does her standard session. i can see she's thought about what she is going to do with me. she asks how i was after the last session, and how sore i was, and works different muscles, different equipment. she has shown me so many new exercises that i've never tried before in the 3 sessions that i've seen her. i will have got enough new ideas from her after my 5 sessions to train myself for a couple more months, and then i'll do some more sessions (i can't afford a trainer all the time).

i think you have to try with someone and see if it works. be honest with them about what you want, and if you can see that you don't gel, change.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Well you def. want some one that is certified.. and all trainers at the gym should be certified. If their not, then thats a red flag right there.

That being said, I've had a personal trainer since January and he's honestly one of the best investments I ever made. While our personalities are different, we some how "click". He knows when things are not right, when I'm upset with him and when I'm in pain. He knows when I truly need a break and when he needs to push me harder. If you trainer and your don't click, then don't be afraid to switch to someone else.. To me, thats the most important part. No matter how well someone takes your goals into consideration or teaches you new exercises/proper form, if your not comfortable with/trust them then you won't get very far.

I see my trainer twice a month and to me thats plenty. Some people prefer to see their trainer once a week or as much as three times a week. Just remember that more you see them, the more it costs.. and thats where it can also get sticky.
  • cvaneaton
    Options
    A word of caution, I prepaid for 20 sessions and the gym closed down today. I am out 11 sessions, with no refund.