fruits/vegetables

Options
alexa137
alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
i dont like many fruits or vegetables, only corn and spinach, watermelon, canteloupe
tried Fruit2day, cant stand the little pieces, I dont like roughage,
i only eat fruits/veggies probably twice a week, if that!
will someone please tell me when they invent a pill or vitamin that would give me the essentials?!
thx

Replies

• bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    try smoothies :)

There are multivitaments that can help, but unfortunately, "magic pills" dont work.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Girl are you crazyyyyyyyyyyy. Fruit is just so good, if prepared right. You mentioned watermelon. Best drink I ever made was water melon and pineapple juice, it's so good. If you can afford it, I would invest in a vitamix blender, or another high quality blender. And drink your fruits and veggies, this is what i do. I can put 5 apples in a blender with some water and drink them. But eating 5???? YUCK
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    Is there a Wal-Mart in your area? I've only seen these at Wal-Mart but in the produce section, in the refrigerated area (like where the bagged salads and already cut up fruit it) they have these fruit options (sorry, I don't remember the brand). They have pouches that have various flavors, and also like fruit roll up things in different flavors. No sugar, no additives, minimal calories. I tried one of the pouches once to see what it was like - it's like applesauce consistency and depending on the flavor you got it tastes pretty good. I know it's not ideal, and I'm sorry I don't remember the brand but it's worth a try.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    v8 has a drink called v8 fusion that tastes nothing like veges. they have a couple different fruit flavors (like one is blueberry pomagranate). Try those you may be really surprised.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    try naked juice, or my personal fav, bolthouse farms, smoothie drinks. i get the strawberry/banana smoothie. already made for you. just as expensive to me as making them. this also has some apples in it too. It tells you how many servings of fruit for each serving. veggies i love so i cant help you there. you can always add a little seasoning to the veggies. that might help.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You might consider looking into cookbooks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348

(It's about "hiding" good food in recipes so kids will eat them... but works for finicky adults, too.)

Veggies are very important - no vitamin or pill can replace them. I also recommend you trying different preparation methods. Some people have found they really only like raw veggies, others prefer them baked, others steamed... you get the picture. Preparation method can make ALL the difference. My mom always hated cooked cauliflower, but loves my mashed potatoes that are half potatoes half cauliflower. She also likes my cauliflower-crust pizza!

I second the smoothie idea.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain, not a veggie :)

I would say to just try choking down what you don't like. Eventually you'll get used to it. Usually it's okay for someone to not like one thing or another (I avoid onions) but you'll see me wolfing down asparagus and brussel sprouts. If you don't like anything... well maybe you can make it part of your challenges to overcome picky eating?
  • crawdiddy01
    crawdiddy01 Posts: 22
    Options
    I use Shakeology, its got the stuff from like 70 vegetables! Dont worry about fruit if u take in ur veggies! Lots of fruit have natural sugar, which is still better than artificial sweetners.
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The smoothie idea is a good one, 1/2 cup blueberries, a little protein powder, skim milk in a blender. Also you can get zucchini into just about any meal and it's super nutritious, just grate it as fine as you like and add it to sauces or ground chicken, whatever you fix, it blends right in. You can get applesauce into a lot of meals that way too. Try googling hiding vegetables in food or getting kids to eat their veggies and you can find all kinds of ways to disguise your veggies and make them more palatable.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    will someone please tell me when they invent a pill or vitamin that would give me the essentials?!

the answer is 'juice plus'. i credit them with helping to cure my son's autism.

"Juice Plus+ is not a vitamin supplement. Multivitamins contain a limited number of specifically selected vitamins and minerals. Often these vitamins are not even derived from natural sources. Unlike multivitamins, Juice Plus+ contains juice powders from 17 fruits, vegetables and grains, and therefore provides a far greater variety of naturally occurring vitamins, antioxidants, and other phytonutrients – even some of the fiber – found in the fruits and vegetables themselves.
    Juice Plus+ is made from fresh, high-quality fruits and vegetables, and is carefully tested to ensure that no pesticides or other contaminants affect the natural purity of the product. The fruits and vegetables are juiced, and the juices are then concentrated into powders using a proprietary drying process that carefully maintains temperatures at levels that preserve as much of the original nutrient quality as possible."

www.JPGail.com
  • alexa137
    Options
    like i said, ive never liked them, smoothies maybe, only strawberry, but have to crush it and mix it real good, dont like weird textures, like seeds, peeling,mushrooms. beans(lina)
    i am also on a limited budget $20 a week for food for 2 ppl, so that makes it hard also
    i used to be able to stomach bananad but they dont agree with my stomach
    i wish i could do the shakeology but way too expensive!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how are you able to buy clean, good for you foods on 20 bucks a week? are you eating boxed products?

If you can splurge and get a really great multi vit. get a whole foods, vegan formula multi. RAW makes a really good one and so does ALIVE!, Garden of life is an AWESOME one !
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Cold hard truth. No vitamin/pill/anything will give your body the nutrients in the quality and quanity of the colored stuff. Break down and force yourself to love it...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in tough love. If this rubs you the wrong way, then just ignore it, but I don't believe in sugar coating advice.

Obviously I don't know any of your circumstances or what's going on, but if it were me, I'd be finding any way I could to increase my food budget. $20 a week for two people is a bit extreme. Being able to afford enough *healthy* food is a foundation of good health and affects all other areas of your life. If there are any other expenses you can cut out to increase what you can spend on food, you should consider it. I'm not talking about buying organic and all that stuff - but buying non-processed, *real* food. meat, eggs, fruits, veggies, beans, milk, etc. As it is almost summer, many fruits/veggies will be cheaper than in the winter time. If you shop sales and use cupons you'd be amazed at the deals you can get sometimes.

There comes a point when, as an adult, you have to just suck it up and eat your veggies. It's one thing to not like a few, but to say you don't like anything but spinach is a bit much. Your taste buds can change over time, you just have to keep experiementing with the fruits and veggies till you figure out preparation methods that you don't mind. You may never *love* them but they're important. If you get physically ill when you eat fruits/veggies, then you should see a doctor - both a regular doctor and a mental health professional that deals with eating disorders. (This really isn't meant as an insult - but if you can't eat any fruits or veggies then something is wrong - either physically or mentally.) Your profile says that you're a single mom - do you really want your child to grow up and repeat the same behavior (of never eating any fruits or veggies)?
  • alexa137
    Options
    oh believe me i Coupon! i save like $40-$50 a month! but ive never seen a coupon for fresh produce, like fruits and veggies!
    I usually eat chicken, pasta and salad maybe once a week, or soups and sandwiches
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried this myself so this not an endorsement, but I've seen a product called JuiceFestiv. Do a search on it, and it may be something that you are looking for.