Please explain cals burned cardio vs. strength

Options
Kkmama
Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
I have a question about how to log the calories burned during strength training. Right now I am following the P90X program and am wondering sometimes if I am entering my calories burned properly. I understand wearing a HRM for cardio exercise but am stumped on how to actually calculate strength training. What I have been doing is wearing my HRM during the exercise and entering those calories.

Please share your opinions. Thank you.

Replies

• husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    that's what I'm doing too...wearing a HRM and logging those.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't see that happening. Weight training, puts micro tears in the muscle. When you're done working out, your body is trying to repair those tears(high metabolism) so you burn more calories when you're done resistance training. The only way to really see this is to get yourself a boddybugg, it's a device you wear on your arm, it measures conductivity of the body, sweat... and something else... (forgot what) it tells you how many calories you burned that day. You have to wear it all day. It's 90% accurate. On the other hand, it's also a bit pricey I think about $200 dollars.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I count the calories on my HRM and don't worry about any extra from the muscle repair.
  • giantsfan99
    Options
    using the HRM for strength training will be fine for helping you calculate calories burned. It doesn't matter what type of exercise you are doing, using a HRM to help calculate your calories burned will help give you a good ballpark number.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. I think I will continue using my HRM so I can count calories burned in my exercise log and just know I am doing my body good!
    Cheers!