Depressed...

Options
My husband told me this morning that I am hot, but as I look into the mirror I have other words for it...

I am VERY depressed about my weight. I feel like a bloated whale. I want to cry, I want to hit something. I can't seem to lose the weight. Even when my mom and I joined weight watchers a few years ago, yeah, I lost a few pounds but it never stayed off.

How does a person get through this phase without utterly hating oneself? Am I going to ever "feel" beautiful? :cry:

Replies

• StacieE
    Options
    My husband told me this morning that I am hot, but as I look into the mirror I have other words for it...

I am VERY depressed about my weight. I feel like a bloated whale. I want to cry, I want to hit something. I can't seem to lose the weight. Even when my mom and I joined weight watchers a few years ago, yeah, I lost a few pounds but it never stayed off.

How does a person get through this phase without utterly hating oneself? Am I going to ever "feel" beautiful? :cry:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You turn that self-loathing, that depression into fuel for your workouts, into motivation for eating right.
    Focus that disgust, channel it.
    31 lbs is doable. There are people on here losing 100+lbs.
    You can do this. Stick to it. Make MFP your internet homepage. Come here for support.
    Make the change. Get the body you want.
    You CAN control this.

:flowerforyou:

PS-- If you want to hit something, maybe you can do kickboxing or taebo for exercise? :happy:
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    Stacie, what I've done in the past is try to think of people worse off than me. I find this makes me feel quilty for feeeling sorry for myself and gets me started on a list of all the good things in my life.

To give you a bit of background on me in the last year my husband left me for a younger thinner girl, my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I got into a car accident and totalled my truck as well as I'm having alot of back pain since. I've had to move out of my house while the other woman moved in...buy a much smaller older house that I can afford. I've had to leave my beloved Saint Bernard behind as well. I live in a town where I have no family close by and my friends were his friends so that makes it difficult. I have 55lbs to lose....and then maybe more once I reasses at that point. I feel ugly, fat, and lonely most days. But every morning I go through my morning routine I make a mental list of all the things in my life I am grateful for. I don't let my self stop until I'm ready for the day. Every night before I go to sleep I imagine I am thin and healthy and I walk through my morning routine as a thin person! This helps get me through the days right now and as time goes by it gets better and better.

My point to this long drawn out response is feel free to think about what I have gone through in the last year and you'll be bound to feel better about yourself!!

Shauna:flowerforyou:
  • You're certainly very beautiful (stole a look @ wedding photo).
    Cut out white wheat (at least for a while) you won't believe the difference. No bread, pasta or white rice.
    Turn to brown.
    No soda drinks and drink loads of water, cordial is a great way to enjoy water! I drink High juice cordials and have them in loads of flavours so don't miss fizzy frinks (slight lie)
    U really are hot x
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    Your are beautiful no matter what:love:
    xoxo holly
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    Stacie, what I've done in the past is try to think of people worse off than me. I find this makes me feel quilty for feeeling sorry for myself and gets me started on a list of all the good things in my life.

To give you a bit of background on me in the last year my husband left me for a younger thinner girl, my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I got into a car accident and totalled my truck as well as I'm having alot of back pain since. I've had to move out of my house while the other woman moved in...buy a much smaller older house that I can afford. I've had to leave my beloved Saint Bernard behind as well. I live in a town where I have no family close by and my friends were his friends so that makes it difficult. I have 55lbs to lose....and then maybe more once I reasses at that point. I feel ugly, fat, and lonely most days. But every morning I go through my morning routine I make a mental list of all the things in my life I am grateful for. I don't let my self stop until I'm ready for the day. Every night before I go to sleep I imagine I am thin and healthy and I walk through my morning routine as a thin person! This helps get me through the days right now and as time goes by it gets better and better.

My point to this long drawn out response is feel free to think about what I have gone through in the last year and you'll be bound to feel better about yourself!!

Shauna:flowerforyou:

I had decided to stop visiting for a while since I wasn't losing any weight and I felt frustrated. But, when I read posts like this, I realize there is a variety of experiences here that we can all learn from that will help us through the difficult times. I looked at your wedding picture and you are a fine young lady. I have 47 pounds to lose and I've been working out like crazy and following the plan here on MFP yet I haven't lost any pounds. I went to the poconos last week and at age 52 I had my husband speaking in all kinda strange languages (if you can stretch your imagination). Bottom line is don't focus on what you don't have, but focus on what you have while you work towards what you want. Hang in there.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've read through some of this thread...and REALLY want to respond now but am soooo running late...so I wanted to get it into 'my topics' to come back to share when I get home.

Off to the gym and errands... :drinker: water water and more water!:wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    BuMp bUmP BuMp:laugh:

ohhhhh:sad: I so wish I could stay and chat....I'll be back..:wink:
  • StacieE
    Options
    That was a good reminder...focus on what I do have instead of what I don't. And I understand where Shauna was coming from. I have also experienced extreme loss in my life (which I think is where the "comfort" eating that my mom and I have struggled with comes from) but its a good reminder to me that there are other's in the same place I am in and some that have worse situations. I appreciate everyone's input, encouragement and comfort. It's in those times when you feel overwhelmed that it helps when people step in! Thank you.

Stacie:flowerforyou:
  • StacieE
    Options
    Respond anytime. I will be watching. I appreciate anything you might have to say!

Stacie
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I struggle with this too. Accepting what my significant other says about me, despite my own biased opinions. When he tells me I am "beautiful" I wonder how hard he hit his head. The truth is, we are our worst critics. I will actually avoid mirrors cause I don't want to see this dimple there, or that bulge there. To most people they don't even notice them, but to me....they are HUGE!

I think one of the hardest things about the weight loss journey is changing how we think about and view ourselves. Where I may not think I am attractive, at all, someone else does and I shouldn't disrespect their opinion (not that you do challenge the "hot" remark).

I try to channel the frustration and discouragement into workouts as well. It helps on those tired days. The key is thinking better about yourself. It's all the negative "self-talk" that causes a lot of problems.

You can do this....31 lbs....piece of cake (No! Don't have one!) Also, Weight Watchers....I couldn't do it either....for me it felt too much like a competition and it never worked for me.