Have your kids been the ones to hurt your feelings?

Options
b00b0084
b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
I am asking because my 6 year old just decided to tell me I was a big fat blob. It hurts worse than being told that by anyone else.

Replies

• Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    yes! must be the age! my 6yr old does it constantly. I'm wondering if i'm not watching what i'm saying about myself around her. She told me today when i was exercising that i was flabby. I sat her down and told her she cant call me things like that. It isnt nice.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    mine did it in frony of my skinny friends....repeatedly :grumble:
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My daughter is more like me in that area, she's very careful what she says to people so not to hurt feelings.

Just try to stress more about being considerate of other people's feelings to them.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it wasn't my kid, but my 4th grade student, who asked me (as she hugged my fat stomach) "does it keep you warm at night, like a polar bear?"

:embarassed: :sad:

BUT that was the kick in the *kitten* I needed to get on MFP!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My son saw that girl from Glee showing her belly. He turned and looked at me and said "mommy, your belly does not look like that. Your belly is wiggly". HA!!! All I could do not to tell him it was his damn fault!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    When my son was six, he laid his head on my stomach and said I was squishy. He said it like it was a good thing so I didn't get too offended :wink:
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    My 4 yr old told me I had a big butt and I told her how would you like it if the kids at school told you I had a big butt. She said she wouldnt and never said it again. It did not hurt my feelings so much as it shocked me. Kids will be kids....try to find a way to explain to them how hurtful it is so they can understand. Good luck sweetie and remember no matter what your 6 yr says he/she loves you and would be lost without you!
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Try not to be hurt--try to remember that children do not have the ability to realize how hurtful what they say can be, especially when it's someone they love. Keep working toward your goals.
  • earthtorachel
    Options
    My cousin's daughter was looking at pictures in my mom's house, pointed to one and asked me, "Is that you?" to which I replied that it was and she said "Oh. You weren't fat then." hahahaha The brutal honesty of children!
  • indy2bird
    indy2bird Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes at the time my son was 3.5 years and he said "Mommy, you are a little fat in the front." That is all it took for me to decide I needed to make a change! I explained to him that he was right, but it was hurtful to call people fat. He said, "I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you are a litte fat in the front." It was an innocent observation for him and a learning moment for me.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My children have always told me I have a fat tummy. I don't care, they only say what they see. I have had 2 large babies in there, it's never going to get back to the way it was.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Kid's say the darndest things......You have to appreciate their honesty. But it was not what my daughter said, rather the look on her face that pulled at my heart. She looked totally grossed out once when she saw my strecth marked yucky belly. I am very sensitive about it. I have the extra skin and strecth marks on top of that. eeew! That's the day I decided that I would get a tummy tuck. I can't stand looking at it either. lol
  • b00b0084
    Options
    That is the first time he said it the way he did. Usually he is joking that I am squishy, but this time he was dead serious. So I sat him down and told him that he can not say things like that because it is mean and hurtful and that he needs to say nice things to people.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    My 5 year old told me I was fat out of the blue one day. Apparently in pre-k they were learning to rhyme -at words.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    I know it happens, that kids will say things without thinking, but this was the first time he meant it with meanness behind it.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    it could be the age. i work with little kids and they tell me i'm fat sometimes, and then we have a discussion about verbal filters and why you just can't say that to people. HUGS though. i can't imagine it coming from your own child :(
  • Hazelhaze05
    Hazelhaze05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My Daughter used to love to poke my stomach, and talk about how gross all of my stretch marks are. She saw me cry a few times and got over being mean about it lol I also nicely explained to her that my stretch marks were a gift from her and she needed to be nice about it lol
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My son told me I was the fattest person he knows. I am by far not the fattest person he knows so I'm not sure why he said it. :(
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My friend was recently told by her six year old daugher "Mommy, I love your arms, they are soo jiggly."
  • b00b0084
    Options
    My friend was recently told by her six year old daugher "Mommy, I love your arms, they are soo jiggly."
    My son plays with my "bingo" arms it sucks