Strength exercise doesn't count as burning calories????

Options
I just joined not long ago and I was noticing that strength training doesn't count as burning any calories. Why is that? Cause I'm definitely sweating up a storm...I notice that they count stretching and I know I'm working harder when I'm lifting weights. Thoughts?

Replies

• basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There is an exercise listed already under cardio... strength training and I use it all the time!
  • GThealth
    GThealth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it too, I don't like how it downplays the importance of weight lifting. If someone were to just be looking at the calories then they would assume that the best way to exercise is by doing as much cardio as possible.

I completely disagree with this, and think that strength training is more important and has better effects than cardio.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    That's why all my strength training is done in circuits, practically no breaks, ALWAYS moving! I believe there's a circuit strength training listing under cardio. Roughly 440 calories/hr at my stats. Either that or I found a website to calculate for me and put it in custom.

The PTs at 24hr fitness always compliment me on getting my strength training and cardio in at the same time :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks I have wondered this as well !
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I click on caardio and type in strength training.....then it's calculated :)