not sedintary not lightly active

Options
azlady7
azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
Which am I? I am in between but not either. For example: Through out the day I home school my kids, so I sit a lot. But in between stuff, I am cooking, doing laundry, cleaning, just walking around and loitering lol. I dont sit most of the time, but I dont stand most of the time....so what should I put?

any advice would be welcomed! :)

Replies

• strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    better to overshoot than undershoot. id go with sedentary
  • azlady7
    Options

Yeah thats what I have it at.....I wasnt sure though. Thanks :)
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    you can change what you put in so why not have a play and try each one?? It may not be that different
    Good luck
  • ivorythorns
    ivorythorns Posts: 33
    Options
    First of all, great work! :) You're really doing a great job!

Onto the question... I'm kind of the same. My job is an office job, but I'm jumping up every 20 minutes to run errands around the office. I've always chosen sedentary. If I understand the numbers, sedentary assumes you're sitting still most of the day and therefore burning fewer calories. To my way of thinking, choosing sedentary gives me a good baseline -- and the additional calories I burn off wandering around the office are just bonus calories. Each one helps!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If you are a mom then you are lightly active at a minimum. I'm a sahm and that's what I have mine set at since the beginning. I also log all of my exercise calories and eat them too... worked for me!
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options

It actually may not be...I picked sedentary thinking the same thing. Started to get really light headed and felt like I was ready to black out. Added 500 more calories to my goal and now I feel much better. If you lose weight with light activity, then stick with it.
  • azlady7
    Options
    hmmm maybe i will try lightly active for a bit and see how it goes. thanks guys :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    First of all, great work! :) You're really doing a great job!

Onto the question... I'm kind of the same. My job is an office job, but I'm jumping up every 20 minutes to run errands around the office. I've always chosen sedentary. If I understand the numbers, sedentary assumes you're sitting still most of the day and therefore burning fewer calories. To my way of thinking, choosing sedentary gives me a good baseline -- and the additional calories I burn off wandering around the office are just bonus calories. Each one helps!

Exactly! This describes me as well. I sit mostly at the office, but everyday I'm washing dishes, doing laundry, taking out trash, etc. I only count exercise from cleaning IF I'm doing it at the office.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    hmmm maybe i will try lightly active for a bit and see how it goes. thanks guys :)

Just remember, we aren't racing to a finish line. ;) Listen to your body and focus on being as healthy as you can! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I changed from sedentary to lightly active - although I work in an office or in people's home (not much movement during the day) I walk to and from the bus every day and often lug around heavy bags of work stuff.
    I'd suggest either stay at sedentary but log the extra stuff (so if you are playing outside with the kids etc) or go to lightlly active and don't log it.
    Really, I don't think it is an exact science. It looks like you've lost heaps of weight already, so there is probably nothing wrong with keeping doing what you are doing!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you're lightly active.

sedentary is for bed-ridden folks. Or for people like my MIL who only stand to get out of bed, walk to the chair to watch TV all day long, and only rise to go to the bathroom or feed herself (or pour a drink:grumble: ), then go back to bed.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I set mine to sedentary even though I know I'm not, just so I'll know how many calories I burn at work, etc. I dunno if it works out right, but I haven't lost any weight and didn't when I had it set to lightly active, either. So w/e. Totally unrelated to your question, sorry!