treadmill...use that incline!

Options
I've read from numerous sources (SHAPE mag being one of them) that one should never use a treadmill on a 0 incline, because its actually downhill. and that it should be 0.5-1.0 to mimic an outdoor flat surface like a sidewalk/street. I also read that it could help with shin splints.
I've started to jog at 1.0 but its sooo much harder haha. I haven't noticed shin splints yet :) but I do not do it everyday.

Replies

• ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Hmm indeed interesting.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The trainers always tell us that at our gym so I have always ran at 1% incline. You should definitely always do it!

Today I was sprinting 9.5mph at 6% incline...and running 5mph on 15% incline. LOL! Not trying to brag, just saying that if you try it, you can definitely do it! And I hardly ever run on the treadmill...do more interval stuff on the cardio floor :)
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I find that the incline makes it easier on my knees but it did take a little getting used to.
  • KellyEsparza
    Options
    I just used the incline for the very first time today and it is different for sure! And as far as avoiding shin splints, 2 of the most important things you can do is go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get the right shoe for your foot. The second thing is to stretch your calves really good before and after you run.
  • lady7luck
    lady7luck Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for the information.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    :)
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    The trainers always tell us that at our gym so I have always ran at 1% incline. You should definitely always do it!

Today I was sprinting 9.5mph at 6% incline...and running 5mph on 15% incline. LOL! Not trying to brag, just saying that if you try it, you can definitely do it! And I hardly ever run on the treadmill...do more interval stuff on the cardio floor :)

GOOD GREIF! thats crazy. How long did you do that for??

I seriously can't run more than 7.2. I usually keep it at 6.0 when running and 5.0 when jogging. I've been doing it for a couple years, too. I'm just not a runner haha, but I LOVE doing HIITS!
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Treadmill inclines are helpful for upping your exercise calories. 1% is supposed to mimic running outside on the flat, but you know what, outside ISN'T flat!

Be careful about introducing an incline. You may need to reduce your speed at first as you're right, it is harder. Also you'll have to lift your toes with each step a bit more which can give you shin-splints type pain up the front of your shins.

You don't HAVE to use the incline if you don't like it, just up the speed instead to match the burn. But introducing varying inclines can add variety and help burn more calories.

Getting outside is probably the best boost you can give your running workout :smile:
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I often choose a 6 degree incline at 6mph and find I burn about the same calories as when I (try!) run! It hurts my somewhat dodgy knees a lot less than running and tones up my calves nicely!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i'm a terrible runner, but i have to use it at an incline or i get sore knees, sore heels and what not...

i can kind of jog slowly on an incline, but struggle so badly to jog on 0.