Carb Conscious: Slow-Cooked Beanless Turkey Chili

Options
DaChozn
DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
If you don't like beans or if you're watching your carb-intake (like me), this delicious chili recipe may just be what you're looking for! You can substitute other meat and low carb veggie ingredients if you like. Just make sure to adjust your nutrition info. This meal is made in a crock-pot/slow cooker:

Ingredients:

1lb Jennie-O Ground Turkey Roll 90/10 (you can get the square packaged kind, but I find the roll has a more ground beefy texture)
2 cups frozen or thawed sliced red and green bell peppers and onion
28 oz can peeled crushed tomatoes
1 can rotel (or 1 can of just green chilies)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed or ground red/cayenne pepper (more if you like spicy, less if you don't)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional) (adds a bit of sweet to counteract the spicy)
4 tbsp chili powder (love this spice, I tend to use a bit more, hehe)

Directions:
Brown ground turkey in skillet--drain if desired. Add bell peppers and onions to the slow cooker first. Pour meat in next, then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir.

Set on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours or LOW for 4 1/2 hours to stew the spices.

Serves about 6, 1 1/2 cup or 8, 1 cup servings. Top with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream if desired. If you're not carb-watching, pair with cornbread or crackers.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE!

Oh you thought I was done with this awesomeness, huh? I also picked up another recipe online while looking for a low-carb alternative to cornbread which I love with my chili but at 28+ grams of carbs for a slice, it ain't happening unless I make room in my diet for it. The bread I found and made has the texture and tastes pretty good actually. Just don't bite into it expecting corn-like taste. You can pour hot chili over it however, and won't be none the wiser.

They call it Low Carb Cornbread but since it doesn't really taste like cornbread but does have the texture, I renamed it:

Almond Scallion Bread

Ingredients:

1 cup Almond Flour
1-2 green onions, chopped
3/4 tsp baking powder (I didn't have any, so I did 1/2 cream of tartar and 1/4 baking soda)
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix wet ingredients with chopped onions, then add dry ingredients.

Pour into a greased baking dish (8x8, 6x9, etc) and bake for 20-25 minutes until edges turn brown. Impatient? Microwave for 5-6 minutes.

Pictures and original recipe where I derived this recipe: http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/02/green-onion-cornbread/

Hope you enjoy if you do try these recipes out! :happy:

NUTRITION for both recipes:

e038mq.jpg

zsol1d.jpg

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Very nice! I love chili and I've really been missing it lately, I'll have to try this.
  • DaChozn
    Options
    Very nice! I love chili and I've really been missing it lately, I'll have to try this.

You won't regret it. So yummy.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Something that sounded very odd to me.... but ended up tasting rather good.... is to add a can of pumpkin puree to your pot of chili. Especially if you're spices like cinnamon and even chipotle.

It adds a thickness and a nice depth of flavor (plus the nutrients)... you can tell there is something "different" in it, but no one would ever guess pumpkin. I feed it to DH all the time and just haven't told him what's IN it. :laugh: :wink:
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump!
  • DaChozn
    Options
    Something that sounded very odd to me.... but ended up tasting rather good.... is to add a can of pumpkin puree to your pot of chili. Especially if you're spices like cinnamon and even chipotle.

It adds a thickness and a nice depth of flavor (plus the nutrients)... you can tell there is something "different" in it, but no one would ever guess pumpkin. I feed it to DH all the time and just haven't told him what's IN it. :laugh: :wink:

Now that is interesting! Love me some pumpkin. Gonna have to try that next time.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump.... Going to try this!
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rcbeck99
    rcbeck99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump!