Exercise Calories

mariumosman
mariumosman Posts: 37
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!

I imagine this is an age old question, but should we eat our exercise calories? If so how much of them? I mean all of them?
Also why should we eat them? Does anyone know the 'science' behind it? Does it speed up weight loss?

A lot of questions I know, but please can someone tell me. Thank you for your precious time. :wink:

Replies

• BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    You will burn alot more calories after you are done exercising than if you didn't exercise at all. You HAVE to eat your exercise calories or at least most of them so your net calories is 1200. If you drop below that, your body goes into "starvation mode" where it lowers how many calories you burn at rest to protect itself.

I lose more when I eat ALL my exercise calories. MFP says I need to eat 1200 calories, well, I lose more when I eat 1500 (net).
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    If I am hungry I eat them, if not I don't, some days I need more food then others, not sure about the science behind it : )
  • mariumosman
    mariumosman Posts: 37
    You will burn alot more calories after you are done exercising than if you didn't exercise at all. You HAVE to eat your exercise calories or at least most of them so your net calories is 1200. If you drop below that, your body goes into "starvation mode" where it lowers how many calories you burn at rest to protect itself.

I lose more when I eat ALL my exercise calories. MFP says I need to eat 1200 calories, well, I lose more when I eat 1500 (net).

OK so it's all about the net calories then!! I wasn't sure. I don't do that. I exercise a lot and have had a good weight loss. But I had a feeling it was important to eat them. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. :)
This discussion has been closed.