How much sodium

Options
how much sodium does it take to bloat up to a pound? I haven't been eating over my sodium goal but I feel squishy and I seem to keep gaining weight for no reason. I have been working out ,not very hard this week because im SUPER busy. Mostly I've strength but not enough to make me sore just really tired so I don't think I'm gaining muscle....) and eating to my calorie goal. Should I stop weighing myself while I'm strength training? Whenever I stop I go down but even my light workouts seem to have me gaining up to 3 lbs.

Replies

• LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Bump. Please help. Also anyone have tips for lack or motivation. I am getting lazy about the gym because I'm so close to goal I see no point. Trying to scare myself with the thought of being fat again just isn't doing it for me anymore.... My diet is fine and I'm always on calorie goal, but I just am to exhausted and I have no motivation.
  • Plarmore
    Plarmore Posts: 17
    Options
    How's your water intake lately? One of the first signs of mild dehydration (aside from thirst) is a lack of energy.

Also - if you're sodium is high on a particular day, you can dilute and flush it by significantly increasing your water intake.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    How's your water intake lately? One of the first signs of mild dehydration (aside from thirst) is a lack of energy.

Also - if you're sodium is high on a particular day, you can dilute and flush it by significantly increasing your water intake.
    I drink like 14 glasses on one day but then barely any the next. I'm not sure if my sodium is to high. It's always under 2500 but always in the 1000s.
  • Plarmore
    Options
    By the way - hang in there and don't stop with your workouts. Even after you've fully achieved goal; if you stop your workouts, you'll loose muscle mass and fat stores will begin to increase again - regardless of your eating habits. I know this because it has happened to me. A few years ago I lost 50 pounds counting calories and working out. Then I stopped counting cal - and then I stopped working out - and here I am a few years later back at it again with 50 lbs to loose.

As for gaining after weight training - again your muscles are probably retaining water to heal themselves which can also be alleviated by drinking more water...
  • Plarmore
    Options

I drink like 14 glasses on one day but then barely any the next. I'm not sure if my sodium is to high. It's always under 2500 but always in the 1000s.

It doesn't seem as if your sodium level is too high, but I would recommend more consistency in your water intake. On the day you don't drink, you're going to retain and become lethargic.

Remember that 1000 is milligrams which is 1 gram. A healthy intake is 3 to 5 grams.
  • leshagen
    leshagen Posts: 36
    Options
    I know it's hard to find motivation and to push yourself when you're exhausted. Check with your doctor just to make sure you are not anemic. If you don't take any kind of multivitamin, you may need a little more iron in your diet. I was severely anemic and tired all the time, when I started taking iron I felt like a new person.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    I think I'm mostly stressed I have exams coming up and I just want to be able to take a break without fear of gaining it all or forgetting to ever get back to the gym.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think if your water intake is that radical that maybe our bodies hold onto extra water to make sure you have enough for those days that you don't drink enough.