distance or time?

Options
For all of you runners out there: do you focus more on getting a certain distance done or running for a certain amount of time?

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    When I'm outdoors, always fixed distance. On a tread mill it just depends on my mood :) Distance feels better because you get a 'rewad' for runnign faster - i.e. you get to the end quicker - on the other hand I like trying to beat my distance too...
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Do you want to be better at endurance or speed? Personally (while I am not a runner) I do intervals from time to time which seems to help with both.
  • ChrisR0128
    ChrisR0128 Posts: 86
    Options
    I have been working on Distance more. But I have noticed when I go on my shorter runs after doing a long run my speed does go up some so.....LOL .....I guess BOTH
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually concentrate on length of time running, then distance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends.
    If I am training for something specific, I will do the distance required, and let the time fall where it may depending on the pace I need to run.

However right now I will be moving to just a maintenance routine, running mostly on trails so I plan to just run for a set amount of time, and not care how far the distance turns out to be.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've never been particularly fast. But I have always concentrated on endurance. For me its about distance.

I know that once I am able to run a specific distance, my time will come down on successive runs.

As long as I beat my last personal best, I'm happy.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are planned by duration and heartrate.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Another note: Speed is directly related to strength. Endurance uses more slow-twitch muscle fibers and speed uses more fast-twitch muscle fibers. So if you want to get faster, you should incorporate some heavy barbell squats into your routine.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a time runner.

I always set a time on my treadmill and run/walk for it.

When I used to do HM's I always did distance but now that I'm getting back into exercise again after a period of injury, I am more focused on time.

I also fit workouts in before I need to go somewhere or go to work, so it's always time related.
  • peytons_mommy82
    peytons_mommy82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a newer runner and I run for a certain amount of time and am happy when I run farther than I did the time before! :)
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you are running to lose weight and to get healthier, try focusing on time more. I run more for distance now, but when I first began running, I focused on a specific time because quite often it can get frustrating if you do not complete a given distance. Once you gain endurance, begin focusing more on distances.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, i worry about distance, because the LONGer I am working out, then the more calories I am burning. Every once in a while I try to push the speed, like if I was getting ready for a 5K. Or just to mix things up.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to run a marathon, try longer, but don't worry about how fast you are going. If trying to do a shorter race or 5K, do more speed and sprints. If you are trying to lose weight, or maintain, you want to burn more calories.

To start out, just focus on an achievable goal time... then worry about speeding it up, or adding more time. A lot of people start out just trying to run a mile, or 20 minutes to begin. Don't know if you have been running or if this is new to you?