Hot Lunch Ideas!!!

Options
shander7
shander7 Posts: 613 Member
Happy Thursday everyone!
So, for whatever reason, I don't feel like lunch is complete without having something hot to eat.. I've been eating soup, but it's so high in sodium and I'm trying to cut down on that. Do you have any suggestions on something hot to eat thats low in calories and low in sodium?? Let me know! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ive been having a jacket potato (small 200g around 150cals) with tuna and sweetcorn (80cals) no mayo or butter.

If you dont like tuna you could have baked beans, but buy the low salt version if you are concerned about salt.

It is very filling. Some people who are 'on a diet' are scared of carbs, but I dont think of myself as 'on a diet' its a lifestyle change, and carbs are needed to maintain a healthy diet.

Ive been eating carbs and have still managed to lose 9lb in 5 weeks :)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just had a sweet potato with cottage cheese. (and a salad) Soooo good. Pierce the raw potato and sling in the microwave for 10 minues or until soft (depending on size).
    Yum!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I usually just follow up the meal with a cup of tea or sugar-free cappucino mix when I'm needed something hot.

What about a heated or toasted sandwich? I like hot pastrami on rye...oh, yeah, probably high in sodium though...

This is a tricky one!
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Pierce the raw potato and sling in the microwave

Thats what I do! :laugh: tastes the same in a fraction of the time :smile:
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    i eat hot sandwiches a lot, roast beef with string cheese melted on it with sp mustard on whole wheat. I really like WW meals, but I know some people on her would completely scoff at the idea of that..... Let's see, what else? smaller portion from your dinner the night before warmed up, do a salad with the meat (chicken breast strips or steak strips) heated and whatever cheese you have heated on meat then put on top of a green mixed salad. Hope this helps
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    jacket potatoe has to be done in the oven, tastes better
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    EGG MUGS!!!

I love em!!!
    You can use egg beaters (30 cal 1/4 cup) Or bring a whole regular egg (70 cal each)

Put whatever you want in the mug
    Veggies, a slice of pre-cooked bacon, salsa, cheese (I like mini baby bell 35 cal)

Microwave 2-3 minutes stirring at halfway mark.

the options are endless!!!

Measure each thing and count it (obviously)

Ive made some very good ones for right around 200 or less calories.

(Hungry girl has lots of ides for egg mugs but I like putting what I want in them)

Good luck!
  • dhulse
    dhulse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OOOOOOO that sounds good! :love:
    EGG MUGS!!!

I love em!!!
    You can use egg beaters (30 cal 1/4 cup) Or bring a whole regular egg (70 cal each)

Put whatever you want in the mug
    Veggies, a slice of pre-cooked bacon, salsa, cheese (I like mini baby bell 35 cal)

Microwave 2-3 minutes stirring at halfway mark.

the options are endless!!!

Measure each thing and count it (obviously)

Ive made some very good ones for right around 200 or less calories.

(Hungry girl has lots of ides for egg mugs but I like putting what I want in them)

Good luck!
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is great and very versatile too!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Those are great ideas :) I'll have to look into the potato and egg mug ideas! I do sometimes bring leftovers, that's why I'm having some pasta as my something hot today, not the lowest in calories though! Thanks though! Any other ideas out there?
  • huntergoblue
    huntergoblue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to take cooked whole wheat pasta and add it to a container of the broccoli with cheese sauce singles. It makes a great comfort food. And can be done for around 250 calories. For a dinner option I have also added cut up chicken breast to the mixture. Have you thought about making your own soup? I often make a pot of vegetable soup on Sunday afternoons that way I can eat all week and I control the ingredients and the salt! Best of Luck!
  • ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try some Pita Pizza! It's my favorite right now.

You can use an wrap to make it. I like the flat outs, any light style. Then pour some pizza sauce, and any low-fat cheese of your choice. Stick it in the oven for about 6-8 minutes, and it's great. :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:

bean chilli-

mixed beans with some chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, cayenne pepper & corriander (cilantro). Very cheap and you can make it in bulk and freeze in portions.

Omlettes-

1 yolk & 2 egg whites with some of the following fillings: courgette (Zucchini), peppers, tomatoes, olives, feta, low fat mozarella, low fat cheddar, laughing cow cheese, tuna, lean ham, turkey bacon, smoked salmon.

Tortilla Pizzas-

spread some tomato sauce on a low calorie tortilla wrap (I use weight watchers 90cal) and some shredded low fat mozarella. Then add whichever meat/veggies you like- ie (combination of): Turkey rashers, lean ham, spicy ground turkey, chicken breast, pineapple, jalapeno peppers, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, courgettes (zucchini), Aubergine(Eggplant), Fresh basil, green pesto (small amount), mint.

Courgette (Zucchini) Hash Browns-

1 cup shredded courgette, squeezed to let out any moisture. 1-2 Beaten eggs (or just the whites), 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, Salt & pepper, garlic powder. Mix thoroughly then in a hot frying pan add 2 tbsp of the mixture per 'patty'. Flatten down and cook on 1 side for 2 mins until golden, then flip and cook other side. Serve with fat free natural yogurt, with 1 tsp mint sauce mixed in.

Spicy Roasted Butternut squash & quinoa salad- (Can also be done with cous cous)

Cook 1/2 cup of quinoa as per pack instructions. In a hot oven, roast 1 cup buttenut squash (cubed). When both are cooked, combine with some chopped spring onions, chopped olives, feta cheese and 1 tsp harissa paste. (If you can't get this or don't like it use sun dried tomato paste or curry paste).

Creamy Mushrooms on toast-

2 slices low cal wholemeal bread, toasted. 1 cup chopped mushrooms (mixed, if possible), 1/2 chopped onion, 1 tbsp chopped parsley (Fresh is better) 1 chopped garlic clove (or some garlic powder), 1 tbsp very low fat soft cheese (I used extra light philadelphia). Sautee the mushrooms in a pan with oil spray, add the onion & garlic. Then add the soft cheese and allow to 'melt down' for a few seconds. Season well and top the toast. Sprinkle with parsley.

Baked eggs florentine:

Line a small gratin dish (or 2 small ramekins) with a couple of slices of lean ham. Then top with 1 cup wilted spinach. Crack in 2 eggs & season with Salt & pepper. Sprinkle with some reduced fat mature cheddar cheese & bake in a medium hot oven for 10-15 minutes.

Huevos Rancheros (Mexican eggs on tortilla)

Warm through a low cal tortilla and top with eggs of your choice (could be 1-2 poached eggs, 1-2 scrambled or 1 fried egg). Top with home made (or bought) tomato salsa. Add some kidney beans/ low fat sour cream if you wish.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Some ideas:

bean chilli-

mixed beans with some chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, cayenne pepper & corriander (cilantro). Very cheap and you can make it in bulk and freeze in portions.

Omlettes-

1 yolk & 2 egg whites with some of the following fillings: courgette (Zucchini), peppers, tomatoes, olives, feta, low fat mozarella, low fat cheddar, laughing cow cheese, tuna, lean ham, turkey bacon, smoked salmon.

Tortilla Pizzas-

spread some tomato sauce on a low calorie tortilla wrap (I use weight watchers 90cal) and some shredded low fat mozarella. Then add whichever meat/veggies you like- ie (combination of): Turkey rashers, lean ham, spicy ground turkey, chicken breast, pineapple, jalapeno peppers, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, courgettes (zucchini), Aubergine(Eggplant), Fresh basil, green pesto (small amount), mint.

Courgette (Zucchini) Hash Browns-

1 cup shredded courgette, squeezed to let out any moisture. 1-2 Beaten eggs (or just the whites), 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, Salt & pepper, garlic powder. Mix thoroughly then in a hot frying pan add 2 tbsp of the mixture per 'patty'. Flatten down and cook on 1 side for 2 mins until golden, then flip and cook other side. Serve with fat free natural yogurt, with 1 tsp mint sauce mixed in.

Spicy Roasted Butternut squash & quinoa salad- (Can also be done with cous cous)

Cook 1/2 cup of quinoa as per pack instructions. In a hot oven, roast 1 cup buttenut squash (cubed). When both are cooked, combine with some chopped spring onions, chopped olives, feta cheese and 1 tsp harissa paste. (If you can't get this or don't like it use sun dried tomato paste or curry paste).

Creamy Mushrooms on toast-

2 slices low cal wholemeal bread, toasted. 1 cup chopped mushrooms (mixed, if possible), 1/2 chopped onion, 1 tbsp chopped parsley (Fresh is better) 1 chopped garlic clove (or some garlic powder), 1 tbsp very low fat soft cheese (I used extra light philadelphia). Sautee the mushrooms in a pan with oil spray, add the onion & garlic. Then add the soft cheese and allow to 'melt down' for a few seconds. Season well and top the toast. Sprinkle with parsley.

Baked eggs florentine:

Line a small gratin dish (or 2 small ramekins) with a couple of slices of lean ham. Then top with 1 cup wilted spinach. Crack in 2 eggs & season with Salt & pepper. Sprinkle with some reduced fat mature cheddar cheese & bake in a medium hot oven for 10-15 minutes.

Huevos Rancheros (Mexican eggs on tortilla)

Warm through a low cal tortilla and top with eggs of your choice (could be 1-2 poached eggs, 1-2 scrambled or 1 fried egg). Top with home made (or bought) tomato salsa. Add some kidney beans/ low fat sour cream if you wish.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    argh- another duplicate.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    duplicate post