Too much on one day?

Options
Psyb3r
Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
Hi,
I am working out on MWF doing walking and stationary biking. On TTH I am doing strength training. On Saturdays I hike, but I burn so many calories doing this, each time is about 1400 calories, which puts me in a large deficit for that day that I normally can't eat back. I was wondering if it might be more benefitial to my body and my progress if I didn't hike on the weekend, and just worked out during the week. I am not sure what to do, because I really enjoy the hiking, and it's a really good workout. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it. If you enjoy it and it makes you feel good, I say keep doing it. Your body can handle it. Remember that this is a lifestyle. The more you enjoy the activity, the more likely that you will keep it up.
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    I would not worry about it. If you enjoy it and it makes you feel good, I say keep doing it. Your body can handle it. Remember that this is a lifestyle. The more you enjoy the activity, the more likely that you will keep it up.

EXACTLY.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters. Do what you like to do.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    keep going especially if you find something fun!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about eating all of the calories back on those days that you burn so much. You arent doing it every day. You could probably eat a little more when you burn so much, but again I wouldnt worry about eating them all.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I burn 2500+ cals every day cycling to work (22 miles each way @ 15 mph using GPS to get accurate data) and 3800+ cals on the weekend club ride. It's doing me no harm - it's all about knowing your limitations
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I go for really long weekend hikes, too. Some days I end up with a 2000+ calorie deficit. I just eat when I'm hungry and don't worry about consuming every calorie MFP tells me to eat.

A couple weeks ago, I went on a hike that burned close to 2800 calories according to my heart rate monitor. Once I added in my 1770 base calories, MFP was telling me to eat over 4500 calories. I ended up eating around 2500 calories that day and felt fine.

On weekends we go backpacking, some days I burn 7000 calories - walking all day with a 40 lb pack. I just eat what I want and don't worry about MFP for that day.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It sounds like too much fun to give it up! If it feels good, keep it up...you can always eat more the next day. It all averages out . Sounds like a great fitness routine.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i agree with what everyone is saying. you should bring a trail mix w/ you to munch on for extra caloires. you can put dried fruit, nuts, seeds, m&ms ect. It is a healthy way to give yourself some calories and extra energy!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    just eat back the extra cals you burn.
    don't give up something healthy that you enjoy doing.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am working out on MWF doing walking and stationary biking. On TTH I am doing strength training. On Saturdays I hike, but I burn so many calories doing this, each time is about 1400 calories, which puts me in a large deficit for that day that I normally can't eat back. I was wondering if it might be more benefitial to my body and my progress if I didn't hike on the weekend, and just worked out during the week. I am not sure what to do, because I really enjoy the hiking, and it's a really good workout. Any thoughts?

You're plan sounds like what I aim to do - I go walking on sundays, and typically it's a 1100-1300 cal hike. One sunday I even played badminton for an hour in the evening too. I found it very hard to eat that all back. What I now do on hike days, is eat more for breakfast, and snack on nuts and fruit etc on the hike, and through the afternoon when I'm back home, to make up the calories. If I'm a long way off eating them all back, I'll eat more the next day if I'm hungry and dont care how much as long as I'm not over my more than sunday's deficit. You could do the same on sunday - sounds like a perfect excuse for a sunday roast dinner to me!!!

As for the rest of the week, I dont really "count" the hiking as needing much recovery time, so I dont mind if I do three other days of swimming/elliptical/jogging as well. I don't meet that target most weeks, but I'm trying too. And a couple of weeks ago I started MWF strength training the gym at lunch times as well.

EDIT: Ps, I find that if I miss my weekend walking for a few weeks, I really miss it psychologically. Hiking in the countryside has been proven to improve happiness and mental health - dont give that up!