Off the wall question..

How many calories should I be aiming for at each meal if my caloric intake is at 1200? Does it change when I factor in my exercise?

Replies

• angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    I aim for 3 300 calorie meals and 3 100 calorie snacks; and yes, if you exercise you should eat back your calories.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Calories per meal don't really matter. It's the total for the day that counts.

That being said, I find that if I "front load" my calories in the day, (i.e., eat a large breakfast, a small lunch and a very tiny bite for dinner) I lose weight faster.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    You do earn calories by exercising, it's a personal decision to eat them back or not. Remember to loose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. There is no wrong or right way to divide your calories, just space them out so that you are not getting hungry, but try to not eat to heavy in the evenings especially if you tend to eat dinner later in the evening.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Its really about finding out what works for you and your body - so experiment.

For me, it's front loading. I eat a large breakfast, a snack, a mid size lunch, a snack and a very small supper. However, for my mom it's almost exactly opposite. She has a mid size breakfast, a very small lunch and a very large supper. It's all in how your body works and when you find you are hungry.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    I agree with all. Its what your calorie intake for the day. If its easier for you to divide it up like that you can do that. Go what works for you!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I eat more and more as the day goes on. Breakfast is my least caloric meal and dinner is my highest. I am just not that hungry in the morning and I am that hungry at night! I couldn't split it up evenly. I am also not much of a snacker. I generally eat under 300 calories for breakfast, 300-400 calories for lunch, and 500-600 for dinner. My goal (not including exercise) is about 1400 calories/day.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Remember to loose weight you need to create a calorie deficit.

Exactly! And the great thing about MFP is that the site creates that deficit for you, before exercise even comes into the picture.