Freaking out!!!

Options
Katrob9
Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
I am freaking out because a stupid workman in my flat broke my scales so I have had to buy new ones today.

I bought the new scales, fine, sneakily tried them at work and it could well be the difference in floor surface or whatever but they are weighing me 20lbs higher than my last weigh in at home. I know the ones that are now broken weighed differently at work than at home because it is on different flooring.

Now I know I can't be up 20lbs because that would mean that since Sunday I had piled back on two thirds of what I have lost so far. I'm pretty confident that hasn't happened. Mind you, I reckon they're going to weigh totally differently and then what the frick am I supposed to do?? I'll feel like I've gained weight which I really don't think I have. I'm so gutted. :(

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens at home when I try them. The ones I had are totally busted though - they went from 230 to 160 then to 180 as readings and then gave up the ghost and wouldn't weigh at all. The zeroes were coming up but they weren't flashing and then bringing up the weight they just turned off as if I hadn't stood on them.

I am really upset about this. I know it might sound stupid but I've been tracking my progress and getting a real boost from it, if these scales read loads higher then what am I supposed to do?? I'll feel like I'm going back a million paces and also won't know what blooming weight I really am if they're massively different!!!

I feel like throwing up I'm so stressed an upset about it. Also, I'm having to stay late at work because someone called in sick so it is going to be 8pm before I even get home. :(

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath, you did not gain 20 lbs. It is the scale. a 20 lb difference between 2 scales is crazy, so try moving your new scale around to find a flat spot on the floor. Worse case scenario, go buy a new scale. Or weigh yourself in your gym (if you have one). It will be ok!!!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    oh my god, ive been freaking out about this happening too, ill be keeping an eye on your thread to find out the answer

My scales are really old so i know they may bust soon.

i dont understand, i weighed myself at my nans the other day and i was a stone heavier! arghh
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    first of all make sure the scale is zeroed out. Then do you usually weight with all your clothes on and your shoes. If not Then that could be adding some of the extra weight plus it is a differant scale and on differrant floor. Chill out and take it home and try using it the way you are used to doing it and then see what it gives you. But chances are since it is a differant scale the nunbers will be off a tad from your old scale. I hate how that works, but unfortunatly they are not perfect. And if this does not help at all, then do like courtney said and go buy another new one. You may have just ended up with a falty scale.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Did you change the batteries mine goes crazy when they are about to go.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the starting weight (if the old scale was wrong) you have lost 32 pounds. That is amazing and you should be proud. I wouldn't panic , when you get home try it on the same flat surface you've been using. Also try weighing a few things that you know the weight of to test it's accuracy, like hand weights. That's how I knew mine old one was funking out on me, my 10lb weights were reading differently each time i put them on bouncing from 10.8 to 9.5 to 11.2. (it was crazy) I got a new battery and it's fine again. Plus i've heard that moving scales around will mess with the accuracy. good luck
  • jennnny
    jennnny Posts: 65
    Options
    Regardless of what your weight is right now you've still lost the 32 pounds. 20 pounds is a big different between scales. I think even if your old scale was measuring you wrong it can't possibly be 20 pounds off. Get yourself a new scale or go the rec center and weigh yourself there to get a real idea of your weight. You can buy a day pass for just a couple bucks usually and they have a legit scale you can use and that will give you as close to your true weight as possible and then you can find a scale that gets you as close to that as possible. Good luck!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If the new scale REALLY thinks you gained 20 lbs, then there's something wrong with it, and I would take it back. If you usually weigh yourself in say, before breakfast, I'd do that tomorrow, to see what the difference is, to see if you need a new scale.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Can you go and weigh yourself somewhere else (not naked before breakfast obviously!;-)) just to check which set of scales were closer to the truth? Like another person said, it may be that the new scales are faulty! A lot of gyms and pharmacies have scales - I'd give that a go before panicking. If it turns out your original scales WERE out by 20lb then you adjust your starting weight up I guess - but that's worst case scenario. Either way, you've still LOST all that amazing amount of weight. WELL DONE YOU!
  • Katrob9
    Options
    Oh my goodness, thanks guys. I hadn't thought that, even if my old scales are wrong, I've still lost the weight, I just might have had a different start weight. I really hope not though because I thought I was really close to onderland (206 at my last weigh in) but the new scales are saying 228.8 which I don't care for at all!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    To check the new scale try putting something on it that you know what it weighs like if you have a weight or something that you know the weight of put it on to see if it gives the right weight. I would think that the old one was probably off especially if the batteries were getting worn out or if it was an older analog scale.
  • Katrob9
    Options
    It was actually brand new - the 'old' scale that broke was maybe a month old. I'm going to weigh my weights on the new scale tonight and see. Maybe the old scales will have miraculously come back to life... I'm definitely taking them back though - if they have been weighing out by that much then they are total cr@p and no-one should buy weightwatcher scales ever!!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Chill honey, no use worrying, try the scales at home at your usual time.

I am sure it will sort itself out.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options