Drinking while running??

Options
Not booze, sillies..... but I lured you in, didn't I?

Just curious for all you runners out there -- when you stop at a water station during a race, how in the H-E-double hockey sticks do you drink your water while continuing to run??

I have to stop completely. Even if I slow down I just end up spilling the water all over myself.

I've run a few half marathons and I really didn't need to hydrate all that much during these, but I am starting to train for a full marathon this fall, and training during the summer in humid Wisconsin will be pretty brutal. I'm looking for ways to increase my fluid intake while running, just can't get the physics of it figured out!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, and have the best day EVER. No pressure.

Replies

• kateistoned
    kateistoned Posts: 116
    Options
    Camelback maybe? :) Although it would add extra weight to your person when you carry it...
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Fold the mouth of the cup to a narrow point and slow down to a jog.

Don't worry about spilling.

Gulp what you can and keep going.
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had to buy a fuel belt with drink holders for this very reason!!! My very firts half, I actually tripped and fell and bruised my knee at the 8 mile aid station, b/c I 'thought' I could handle a slow jog while drinking -- NOPE!!! Shortyl after that, I bought my fuel belt with squeeze drink thingees and haven't busted any knees since then :-) Happy Running!!!!
  • fumblerdog
    fumblerdog Posts: 63
    Options
    I promise, it is OKAY to walk through the water stops - you're not going to blow your PR. :-) Better to actually get the water down your gullet than to spill it all over yourself and not be properly hydrated.
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    catcher_in_the_pie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually fold the top of the cup closed so it looks like a slit. Some water still spills out, but not as much and it's easier to drink this way.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've done half marathons and want to do a full. But I spill everything even when I'm not running! My brother in law likes the camelback thing. He's in the navy and has to do a lot of running. I've never tried it though.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Also if you look at the fastest runners... they generally have the smoothest stride.

The smoother the stride the easier it is to drink. (Or so I hear... LOL)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always spill, but when it's hot, I usually take an extra cup to pour over my head anyway so a little spillage is no problem for me. I also carry a small water bottle with a spout with me. It's small enough to hold in my hand or in a pouch and not weigh me down. In fact, the bottle I have is made to hold in your hand comfortably (it has finger notches). Anyway, I know some people walk while drinking and others like to completely stop. I like to keep going. My only advice if you are going to pour a cup over your head is to make sure it is water and not gatorade!!! My first newbie mistake!!! ;o)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your races! You really should be hydrating during a 1/2 and even 10ks. It's important for your muscles. I never stop at the water stations and even attempt the cups LOL I have a camelbak. I even train with it on my smaller runs so it doesn't feel out of place on the longer runs. I also have are small water bottle that has a hand strap. You should go to a sport or running store and check out the options. Your body will love you for it :wink:
  • Boz1625
    Boz1625 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I run anything over 6 miles with a hydration backpack. Camelback makes some really nice, lightweight options, plus then you have a way to carry a phone, etc.

If I do grab a cup at a station, I've learned from other runners that you fold the mouth of the cup so it's kind of like a funnel (squeeze at each side) and then get a big gulp in your mouth, drinking it in smaller swallows until it is gone so you don't mess up your breathing. Don't worry about spilling it, everyone does!

I actually snorted some up my nose in my last race. That's not pleasant!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I walked.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I walked the water stations.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The 1st 5k I did I tried to jog & drink and almost ended up choking! It went "down the wrong pipe".....it was a disaster. Now I just walk when I get a drink. I'm just not co-ordinated enough to pull off the run and drink and that's OK with me! :tongue:
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Fold it so that it comes to a point and slow to a jog. If it spills, it spills. It'll dry.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My only advice if you are going to pour a cup over your head is to make sure it is water and not gatorade!!! My first newbie mistake!!! ;o)

Haha, good call!!!

I have previously walked through aid stations, but I think it upsets other runners if the station is congested. I think I am going to invest in a good Camelbak/Fuel Belt, that way I don't have to set out water bottles for my long runs anymore ---- thanks so much for the ideas, people!!

Cup folding, what a novel idea!! I feel a little silly for not trying that out......
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    My only advice if you are going to pour a cup over your head is to make sure it is water and not gatorade!!! My first newbie mistake!!! ;o)

Haha, good call!!!

I have previously walked through aid stations, but I think it upsets other runners if the station is congested. I think I am going to invest in a good Camelbak/Fuel Belt, that way I don't have to set out water bottles for my long runs anymore ---- thanks so much for the ideas, people!!

Cup folding, what a novel idea!! I feel a little silly for not trying that out......

I'd like to add to this... on behalf of the guy in Honolulu who tried to eat the stuff on the little wooden sticks they were giving out. Vaseline is not for ingestion. If you don't know what it is... don't put it in your mouth.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have to slow down to a slow job or walk to be able to drink. I either choke on it, it goes down the wrong pipe, or spills all over the place. Not to mention fact I'm afraid of paying so much attention to trying to drink and end up tripping from not paying attention to running. My boyfriend has tried to get me to use his camelbacks (he's a former marine and has millions laying around the house) but I just haven't brought myself to trying one yet.

But I'd say it just depends on what your comfortable doing.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    [...], and training during the summer in humid Wisconsin will be pretty brutal. I'm looking for ways to increase my fluid intake while running, just can't get the physics of it figured out!!

[...]

get a handheld http://www.ultimatedirection.com/product.php?id=12&page=handhelds
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add to this... on behalf of the guy in Honolulu who tried to eat the stuff on the little wooden sticks they were giving out. Vaseline is not for ingestion. If you don't know what it is... don't put it in your mouth.

*Snort*

I ran a half last summer where they were handing out bavarian cream filled donuts at the 10 mile mark. Seriously?! What, is that to rack up business for the medical aid station down the way?? Also, I was still really tempted to eat one.....

Just have to throw this in there -- 97lbs lost? That is phenomenal!
  • simplycindy07
    simplycindy07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Where in WI are you from? I'm in SE WI and my husband and I are looking to find some people to run with us. All of our friends are non-runners. Lol. We're actually running in our 2nd 5K on Saturday ...hoping the weather holds out.