Discrepancy btwn MFP exercise calories and gym equipt. calor

Today at the gym, I actually put my weight into the elliptical and the treadmill, and noticed that there was a huge discrepancy (MFP gave me 357 calories, the gym only added up to 261) betweeen the calories the gym equipment says that I've burned and what myfitnesspal exercise log gives me. Since you can't just give yourself "quick add cals" for exercise, what do people go with? To be honest, I don't always eat exercise calories, anyway, so I'm not sure it even matters, but was just wondering if others had noticed the discrepancy.

Meg

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    I create my own exercise and put in what my HRM tells me. The machines aren't very accurate but they are probably more accurate than the MFP standards.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Yes.

My gym equipment actually tells me higher than MFP does. Once I had logged them on MFP a few times I think it re-adjusts and suggests a more reasonable number now.

You are doing the right thing by only eating half of your exercise calories though. This is exactly why I only eat back half of mine too.
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    I have found the MFP calories burned to be WAY off.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Today at the gym, I actually put my weight into the elliptical and the treadmill, and noticed that there was a huge discrepancy (MFP gave me 357 calories, the gym only added up to 261) betweeen the calories the gym equipment says that I've burned and what myfitnesspal exercise log gives me. Since you can't just give yourself "quick add cals" for exercise, what do people go with? To be honest, I don't always eat exercise calories, anyway, so I'm not sure it even matters, but was just wondering if others had noticed the discrepancy.

Meg

I just pick one system and stay with that. I do not usually eat back all of the exercise calories....usally about 1/3-1/2
  • LaDawn74
    LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
    I use my BodyMedia Fit to use as my calories burned. It was higher than the machine the other day.

I don't eat back my calories. By the time I log everything in...its too late at night to eat them back.......