Any Trail Runners In Here?

Options
Hello! I'm new to running but have found that I absolutely LOVE trail running. It is absolutely amazing. No more asphalt for this gal!

I'm wondering if there are any other trail runners around here that can share some tips for getting started, finding races, gear, etc. Right now, I am just working on building endurance and finding trails near my home but I'd like to trail for a 5K trail or find a beginners running club.

Thanks and feel free to "friend" me! :)

Replies

• lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm not a trail runner... too uncoordinated :) I went last weekend tripped on a tree root and went flying down the hill. But I can appreciate that more coordinated people like it. Anyway, I am reading a book right now -- Born to Run -- I would highly recommend it. It's quite funny and makes you want to run, it's all about trail running (and other crazy stuff)!
  • snooplarsylars
    snooplarsylars Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I've actually been wondering the same thing! I have been a runner for almost 10 years, ran a marathon in 2009, but I only started trail running a couple of weeks ago... it is INCREDIBLE. I find myself looking forward to my runs for the first time in a while. I'm so glad you share the enthusiasm! Since I'm new to it too I don't have much advice on gear/races etc., but I've been doing some research, so I will post anything I come across :-D I get Runner's World magazine and they just put out a special publication all about trail running - I highly recommend seeing if you can get a copy... the articles are inspiring (there's even one about how trail running is just as good of a treatment for depression as Prozac, etc.!!), plus there's tons of info on good trails, races, shoes, tips, etc. The website is also a great hub for info: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/microsite/0,8032,s6-238-511-0-0,00.html

My question is how are you entering the workout into MFP? I entered it as hiking but I'm not sure if that's close to accurate or not. Nice to meet you, happy trails :-D

- Larissa
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love trail running! I find that I am able to go further and faster on a trail versus a treadmill. Probably because I dont get bored! It is also nice because I can have my dog off lead and we both can have fun with it.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    yep, check the name :)
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to running but have found that I absolutely LOVE trail running. It is absolutely amazing. No more asphalt for this gal!

I'm wondering if there are any other trail runners around here that can share some tips for getting started, finding races, gear, etc. Right now, I am just working on building endurance and finding trails near my home but I'd like to trail for a 5K trail or find a beginners running club.

Thanks and feel free to "friend" me! :)

http://ultrasignup.com/

I have a good link somewhere for east coast trail races. what part of the country are you in?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I really prefer trails when I run. I am lucky to live next to a county park with an excellent trail system. I can be on the trails in minutes.
    I also can swing past another county park with a nice trail system on my way home from work. None of these are overly scenic trails, but I just can't pass up the convenience.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon trail run last summer and it was absolutely amazing!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    athlinks.com

You can looks for "events" in your locale.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent convert to trails. I joined a trail running club and haven't looked back. I'm now training for a 100K trail race. I'm doing a 50K in a week. I'm happy to have left the concrete behind! By the way, Kevin Sayers ultra site is awesome, even though he hasn't updated it since 2004! http://www.ultrunr.com/

All the best,
    Cyprian
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture. I have to run 2 km or road to get to my nearest trail, but once there I infinitely prefer it. I find tracks much easier on my feet and ankles. I did a 8 km trail run last weekend.