NSV!! but also advice needed!!

Options
My boyfriend and I were walking and he had to get my attention because my shirt was loose he could see side boob!! eekk!! lol He said its the 1st time he really noticed a difference in my weight. Ahem to a man actually noticing!!!

Neways, I've only lost 14 pounds so I dont want to get new clothes yet.. so I ask you guys when was it an appropriate weight loss to get new clothing? Any tricks to make your "fat" clothes fit semi-nicely during this journey?!

And how can you afford an all new wardrobe?! I was looking through my closet and as long as I stick with this new lifestyle that means good bye clothes.. thats many years of clothes.. ahhh freakin out now!!

Replies

• BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am glad to be the first to chime in. As long as the scale is moving you should wait as long as you can then buy tight clothes.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    i used safety pins....lots and lots of safety pins, lol....that and thrift stores have become my best friends
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Well I wear scrubs so that makes my situation a little easier!

When i lost a huge amount of weight before I bought new clothes that were tight but not too tight and kept doing that till I got to my goal weight
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    Dont freak out. Its a good thing remember. :happy: I really didn't start getting clothing until I was down almost 20 pounds. I didn't/dont have the money to go buy outfits that I was only going to wear for a little while. After about 20 I went and got the basics. I also started going to a resale shop. I could get a lot more for little money.
    Good luck with your journey :smile:
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Shop at thrift stores and consignment shops to add a few "fitting" pieces at a time until you reach your goal.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I like the ideal of safety pins. LOL, I wear scrubs too, had to roll my pants to keep them on. Great question
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Belts. And bargain shopping for the ESSENTIALS you have to replace.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    God I'm dealing with this right now... I've been buying the bare minimum. Are there a few stores you always have luck with? If so, get on their mailing list. Keep your eyes open for coupons and sales and then, when you go, buy things that you can mix and match. A basic solid shirt can be worn with oodles of different jewelries, scarves, different shoes, etc. I literally have been dealing with only two pairs of work pants at a time during this. I'm holding off on buying a new suit until mine looks really bad... otherwise, tailors are cheaper than buying new clothes if you have some items that are just a tad big.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    With you on the clothes thing. Only 7 pounds for me, but my whole body shape has changed. I wear a lot of skirts, very forgiving.

I work out with my sister, who is smaller than me, and has more money. So, she's bringing me all her own clothes, waiting until I can fit them! And it keeps me motivated to keep her (and me) going...

Always the Consignment stores. The one here lets me trade my old clothes for new ones at a huge discount. Oh, did you ever think you'd have such "problems?" :)
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I started buying new clothes around 25 pounds... but now those new clothes are to baggy... I sy just get alot of saftey pins, fashion glue and belts. Thats what I am having to do becauseI am broke!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    When I lost 5 pounds I had to go buy all new undies and bras! Not exactly where I wanted to lose the first weight!

I have bought some things, but, most of mine are still fitting okay (except for jeans, but, I hit the outlet up for those). I have been losing pretty slowly, I am just replacing the wardrobe a little at a time.....
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Salvation Army! Thrift and consignment stores! AMEN TO YOUR BF NOTICING.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Places like goodwill and other consignment shops are awesome for getting "between clothing". I have found almost new stuff there.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    yes. thrift stores and other people. I was lucky enough to be getting smaller while my sister in law was getting rid of smaller clothes (and then she got pregnant, so I pretty much stole all her clothes). Look for or organize a clothing swap. Everyone has stuff they don't want anymore for one reason or another.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't go all out and buy a full wardrobe until you reach your goal. Just get a few pieces to get you through. Right now I have one pair of jeans and 2 pairs of work pants and a dress. I have a weeks worth of shirts and tank tops to wear under cardigans to rotate.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As a single mom, I don't get new clothes!! When I started losing a bunch of weight I took my favorite dress pants and some tops into the drycleaners to be altered. It cost me about $20 to get 4 prs of pants altered and I saved a bunch of money doing it AND got to keep my favorites.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm due to by my pants for the third time since November, bought some in December for a business Christmas function, then had to buy new ones with a 6" smaller waist 1.5 months later.
    I couldn't afford to keep up if I was buying brand new, thrift stores it is, you can find brand-name stuff in there that's never been worn (judging by the presence of the original sales tag) pants, shirts.... I do insist on socks and undies being totally new to me though, and I'm picky with them anyway only liking one brand of undergarments and socks I only like a couple types.
    So far pants alone have cost me $20, for 4 pairs, this week or next I will look for more which will take me up to $30 for the year on "new" to me pants.
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    See if your town has a trading clothing store. Take in your old clothes and you get credit for the clothes that they sale there. If you don't like what you see they will also give you cash but I always take the credit because it's worth more then the money you will get back. We have blackbird trading co, buffalo exchange, taxi taxi, the leprod lounge and platos closet. Good thing about these stores is they carry top brand names for 70% less then the malls. Also they are in very good shape as well :)
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    when you get new stuff buy it tight now I even check the sale wrack for the size smaller than I am now so I can get things cheap that I'll fit in next month. I now have to buy my second summer wardrobe because last years all new clothes for summer would fall off me this year..and I'm hoping that what ever I buy this year won't fit next year lol..so cheap..with a few fun nice pieces for work/dating.
    But really I wear things until they fall off me..literally..its expensive to shop but fun
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When I hit about 35 lbs lost, I had no choice, as I looked like I was wearing someone else's clothes, every thing just hung on me. I , however, now regret buying too much, because the new clothes are now starting to sag as well. I now plan to buy one or two new items every 15 or so pounds lost, but I will not restock my wardrobe until I hit goal. I have already started doing simple adjustment to items that are not too complicated to fix ( shorten straps, run a stitch down t-shirt sides, wear belts etc..). I made the mistake of buying two bathing suits for a recent vacation and now the bottoms keep slipping down. They were expensive and cannot really be re-sized without an over-lock machine. I am going away in August and will wait till the last minute to get a new one ( and it will be cheap). Hope this helps :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!