Anyone ever do the Warrior Dash?

lipglossjunky73
lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
My hubby and I are signed up for August. I am excited but so nervous. Anyone been through this and can share some insight and advice?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Yep, we had a blast. I blogged about it with pics.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/edorice
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    You will get dirty!

This was my first foot race of any kind and I loved it. Everyone that runs the race has such a great attitude even if you don't know them. Most of our race, being from Orlando with a high water table, was throw this slimy mud, which made it impossible to get your footing, I feel several times and there was also someone struggling by that would toss their hand down to help me up real quick.

I wouldn't worry about trying to make the best time, because when you get to the obstacles, sometimes you'll have to stop and wait in line, so just have fun with it.

As you can see by my avatar, there's lots of mud!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    I do mine on Sunday.. I'm excited!! But I'm also nervous since I didn't have a chance to do much training for it (neither cardio nor strength)

Is there a time limit? lol
  • lipglossjunky73
    Where do they get all the mud from?????

I am doing it for fun, so I'm not concerned about time, but is there anything there really dangerous or scary? I have a huge fear of falling from great heights. I know there is something like that in tough Mudder where you have to jump off something, so I'm not feeling that one yet although I have friends who loved it.

What kind of upper body strength do I need?

did you do anything specific to train for the Warrior dash?

I'll be doing mine in NY in August.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    I'm hoping to run in the Carolina's one in August!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    My hubby and I are signed up for August. I am excited but so nervous. Anyone been through this and can share some insight and advice?

Are you doing it in Whistler?
    I am signed up to do it in August in Whistler... I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :)
  • I'm doing my first one in August too. I would just try to focus on cardio, definitely running, but other than that, just have fun! And good luck!
  • lipglossjunky73
    Windham NY!
  • edorice
    Most people do it for the fun of it. Upper body workouts/arm workouts would help with the course.
  • lipglossjunky73
    Most people do it for the fun of it. Upper body workouts/arm workouts would help with the course.

what did you do to train for the rope climbs, all the upper body stuff?
  • AnnieP13
    AnnieP13 Posts: 8 Member
    I did the warrior dash in Arizona earlier this month - it is SO FUN! Don't be scared about the obsticles - you can get through them. There all shapes and sizes of people that take part, and all ages. The only advice I'd give is to be in good enough shape to run 4 miles. Don't worry about your time - just have FUN! It's a good time & the pictures you will have are GREAT conversation starters.

Kudos to you for taking on such a fun challenge!!
  • Bigfootehs
    Bigfootehs Posts: 9
    Im signed up for it in September in Oregon! My mom did it last year and loved it. shes is doing it again this yer with a BIG group cause she had a great experience
  • edorice

what did you do to train for the rope climbs, all the upper body stuff?

I'd already been doing P90X a year before the Warrior Dash. So I was ready. P90X has a lot of push-ups and shoulder work. There were two rope obstacles at our dash.
This discussion has been closed.