Still overweight by BMI standards?

Options

Replies

• MelLilley
    MelLilley Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this, started today! I completely agree with the opinion that BMI isn't really a good indication. If you train hard and have lots of lean muscle, then your BMI does show as being higher as it does not take into consideration what the weight is made up of!
    Before I started weight training and eating healthier I was approx 64kg UK dress size 12, I am now 62.6kg, hardly any different in weight but I'm now a size 10. My body is completely different now!(for the better) A body builder I knew told me his BMI showed him as being obese...ridiculous! Have a bodyfat test, look in the mirror, see how your clothes feel! Much better indication than what your BMI is in my opinion!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this BMI Flickr set before? Pretty illuminating! Google Flickr Illustrated BMI Categories or go to the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

Love it!

I'm glad you posted this because a lot of people think they're normal when they're overweight or even obese.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this BMI Flickr set before? Pretty illuminating! Google Flickr Illustrated BMI Categories or go to the link below.

Some of those people that they said are "overweight" do not look overweight at all... Just sayin...
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this because a lot of people think they're normal when they're overweight or even obese.
    And some people think they still need to lose more pounds just because they are "overweight" or "obese" according to BMI. BMI is not the whole story.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I HATE BMI! That is what we use in the Coast Guard. I am athletic and in pretty good shape but being within standard has always been a struggle for me. But then I see other people who you can look at and say "they are overweight" or even "obese" yet they still are somehow under BMI. I always have to remind myself that muscle weights more than fat and I looks sexy so who cares what the "experts" say....ever since I was a kid doctors have said "you weigh a lot for your age/height but you look good so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Some of those people that they said are "overweight" do not look overweight at all... Just sayin...
    Exactly -- BMI is not the be all and end all of determining health and fitness. Probably all professional athletes (as well as any "regular" persons with a good bit of muscle on them) are "obese" by BMI-alone standards.
  • redfletch
    redfletch Posts: 8
    Options
    According to BMI I am oveweight at a 26.1....I'm 185lbs and 8-9% bodyfat. Not by any stretch would you consider me fat. bodyfat % is a better indicator to see if you are above or below average. By that standard I am at the low end of average ofr my age.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    I have a friend... if we compared our optimum weight.... it would amaze you. I currently weigh more than she does, but wear smaller clothes..... She weighs now about where I want my goal weight to be (I need to lose 6 more pounds) but wants to lose another 6 - 10 herself. BMI is a guideline but it doesnt take all variables into consideration. I agree... if you want a true reading get a body fat test done professionally. Most important is how you feel yourself.... Do you have more energy, are you happy with you. Are you trying to live healthy... that is all that matters!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Has anyone reached their goal, look and feel great, but are still considered overweight by the BMI chart? If so, how many pounds over are you?

If you are an active person you should not access yourself based on a BMI calculation....

Arnold Schwarzneggar at his peak body building form was classified as obese according to the BMI chart.
    The BMI chart is used to class people who are sedetary...not active. It is only accurate for sedetary people... There are many other fitness tests to determine your correct body compostion.
  • rodneyderrick
    Options
    I HATE BMI! That is what we use in the Coast Guard. I am athletic and in pretty good shape but being within standard has always been a struggle for me. But then I see other people who you can look at and say "they are overweight" or even "obese" yet they still are somehow under BMI. I always have to remind myself that muscle weights more than fat and I looks sexy so who cares what the "experts" say....ever since I was a kid doctors have said "you weigh a lot for your age/height but you look good so I wouldn't worry about it.

I know how this feels. A person can actually have a gut, and pass weigh-ins while a person in shape gets flagged. I went through this when I was in regular army. I'm in the national guard now, and nobody cares these days. A morbidly obese soldier will grab his gut, and say, "I ain't ever losing this. This is my baby." Everybody laughs.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Love it!

I was thinking it goes both ways...some people obviously need to lose some fat even though they think they look average but then again there are some that look perfectly healthy and you can tell they are toned and it has them listed as "overweight" or "bordering obese" :noway:

That has always been my problem...when I am toned and muscular, I am still "overweight". The one time I got down into my "normal" BMI range, I looked sickly and everyone begged me to eat something and put some weight back on. It was not pretty at all.

So personally speaking, as long as I am toned and feeling good, I don't care if that chart says "overweight".
  • tashjs21
    Options

Like her...perfect example. She is overweight. :noway:
  • rodneyderrick
    Options
    And some people think they still need to lose more pounds just because they are "overweight" or "obese" according to BMI. BMI is not the whole story.

BMI is what scientist use in order to evaluate the population's health. When a huge chunk of the population falls into the overweight range, scientist can usually measure the amount of obesity related diseases based on that. It isn't meant for individual usage to measure one's health, but it's an indicator. When putting two people side by side that exceed their healthy BMI ranges, one might be fit and thin while the other one is frumpy and unhealthy. We can't say that both individuals are overweight because they have the same BMI. One of the quick ways to evaluate the two individuals is the hip to waist ratio.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I weighted ( 125- working out all day and sick) My ribs were showing and my hip bones stuck out. Not Healthy even though it was in my "Healthy" range. 135 looks good on me and I feel good but it is at the high range of my "healthy"
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am within in my BMI. A lot of people say that BMI is worthless, but I don't think so. If you're in shape, you don't have any fat hanging over your belt buckle, I don't think the BMI chart is a major concern. If you're over your BMI, you have fat hanging over your belt buckle, then I think BMI should be a concern, especially if you suffer from diabetes, heart disease or some sort of obesity related problem.

I think this is spot on. BMI is not worthless, but neither is it the perfect tool to determine your ideal body weight.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    I am 5'10", 182 lbs and 10% BF. BMI says the high end for me should be about 170 lbs. So I guess I'm still overweight :P
  • tashjs21
    Options

BMI is what scientist use in order to evaluate the population's health. When a huge chunk of the population falls into the overweight range, scientist can usually measure the amount of obesity related diseases based on that. It isn't meant for individual usage to measure one's health, but it's an indicator. When putting two people side by side that exceed their healthy BMI ranges, one might be fit and thin while the other one is frumpy and unhealthy. We can't say that both individuals are overweight because they have the same BMI. One of the quick ways to evaluate the two individuals is the hip to waist ratio.

Thanks for that! That clarifies it a little more!

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options

Most of those appear correct / what I would expect. There were a few that I thought "huh?", but, the overwhelming majority appeared to fit their BMI category...
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    and, no, everyone will not look good in "healthy" range, it varies depending on muscle and body composition, I think most of us agree on that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Has anyone reached their goal, look and feel great, but are still considered overweight by the BMI chart? If so, how many pounds over are you?

No, but I work for a healthcare orangization and at a recent discussion re: weight loss standards one of the doctors was pointing out why BMI is not the best method of determining obesity for many people. He said that nearly every player in the NBA falls into either the overweight or obese catergoy. BMI measures height and weight only with no allowance for fat vs. muscle content.